Dry Falls Too

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by callibaetis, Oct 1, 2001.

1. callibaetis Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I arrived at Dry Falls Friday evening just in time to hit the evening chironomid storm. It was the thickest hatch I have ever seen. During its peak, almost exactly at sunset, the rising trout brought the lake to a boil. Unfortunately I never got dialed into the right pattern, and only caught a couple of very nice rainbows.
    Saturday was very kind to me. About mid morning I figured out that they were rising to adult chironomids that were trapped in the surface film. I convinced them to rise to a #14 Lady McConnel and #16 callibaetis cripple. As the sun got hot and high I broke for lunch.
    After lunch I switched to a full sinking line and a #10 waterboatman. I would cast the line out as far as I could then troll out the rest allowing it plenty of time to get down. Then with short, rapid strips I would bring it in. This was the most succesful tactic of the day providing a lot of fun until the evening hatch.
    Again the hatch was extremely prolific. However I only managed to land a couple of fish. When it was floating well and I could see it a #14 or #16 racoon was a good pattern, but mostly it sits right in the film(or below it) and is hard to see. Perhaps something like a parachute pupa would be a good pattern. I know for sure that they were not interested in a Lady McConnel.
    Let us know what works for you
  2. fly15 New Member

I am going to dry falls this saterday to spend the whole day on the water fishing out of a float tube.What flies should i carry in my fly box for the morning,afternoon and evening.I was also wondering how many other fisherman were on the water not that i don't mind fishing with a few fellow fly fisherman i just don't like combat fishing.I was also wondering what part of the
    lake you were fishing.I have been to dry falls once but i don't realy count it as productive trip since it was my second time fly fishing and i was not very good at that time.Now i am alot better than when i started.Have you guys ever tried greasing your leader exept the last couple inches so a chironomid pupa can sit just under the waters surface during a
    chironomid hatch i read about it some where and thought it would work so i might try that in the evening.Any info would be great. THANKS. :)
  3. callibaetis Guest

Here is what I would try
    Morning-adult chironomid
    Afternoon-water boatman on a sinking line
    Evening-chironomid emerger
    All Day-chironomid pupa
    I was having good luck in the Ne corner of the lake. Expect it to be crowded on Sat though. Just find a spot where you are comfortable and work it. I think one place is as good as the other.
    Good Luck
  4. fly15 New Member

Thanks for the info i will definatly give it a try. I will post my results around monday , thanks again. ;-)