Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dry Falls

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Irafly 
#1 ·
I was reading about Mason Lake this morning and got to thinking about one of my favorites.
I have not been to Dry Falls for a number of years. In years past the Northwest Fly Anglers club would take a trip over and stay in camp ground for the week end.
At that time they would stock with brood stock and there were some nice holdovers in it. The last time I was there however, I did not need a float tube, and I could have walked off of the island on the other fishers there in float tubes.

My question is would it be worth a drive over in the spring to fish this lake. And do they still stock it on a regular basis. I don't believe the WDFW stocking program shows it listed.

Also what about blue lake? Would I need my boat for that or could I get by with a float tube?
It has been a while since I was there.

#4 ·
Dry falls lake is nice in the fall. I never fish it in the spring due to crowds. I don't know about recent stocking. I assume you're talking about the Blue lake in the same chain as Dry Falls? After seeing some pics of the browns that are pulled out of that lake by gear chuckers, I am going to explore that lake a little more this summer.

#5 ·
Yep, that is the Blue Lake. I have driven past it several times and seen a few boats out in the middle
and a few folks fishing with gear from the bank. If a fellow had a good idea of where they might be hiding, it would be fun to fish from a boat, I believe.

Maybe I could hit DF, Blue and RF all in the same trip. Might have to spend a couple of days in the process. Got sleeping bag, will travel.

#8 ·
I have heard that there are other interest (read water skiers) on Park lake. I don't know it that is true or not but perhaps Blue would be the better of the two. I don't know this to be truth, but I am going on a failing memory here. Is your friend a fly fisher?

#9 ·
Yes, he claims he fishes the shallows much more effectively with the fly than the gear and bait fishermen can. I suppose fishing the shallower areas would alleviate interference from water/jet skiers and as well. I've actually never fished either, always opting for the awesome (in the real sense of the word) setting of Dry Falls.

#10 ·
LOL, a day in a float tube on Dry Falls is awesome enough just to enjoy the sights. Fish and fishing are a bonus for me.
Hell, a day in a float tube is awesome enough on any lake. If the sun is out and it is warm. Old bones do
not like cold water.

#11 ·
Fishing Blue & Park in the spring should limit your interaction with powered craft. They usually come out when the weather warms up. I used to only fish Spencer before Memorial Day. In general, I won't fish on lakes after the jet skies & skiers show up - not worth it.

The falcons at Dry Falls really put on a show. There is an aerie on the northwest end.

#12 ·
The Northwest Fly Fishers invited my club, Fourth Corner Fly Fishers last spring and we all stayed at the camp, which is a really nice facility. I didn't think the lake was all that crowded, and the fishing was good. It was sunny, a little windy, and the fish were biting. I would recommend the trip as it is a beautiful lake. Rick

#13 ·
You guys are killing me. I have marked the first of April for the opener at Dry Falls in my new float tube with a couple dozen Olive, black, brown, and yellow buggers, some scuds, and dragon flies. Gotta have damsel and dragon flies. Maybe a couple of sno cones and some adams for dries.

What did I miss?

#14 ·
You guys are killing me. I have marked the first of April for the opener at Dry Falls in my new float tube with a couple dozen Olive, black, brown, and yellow buggers, some scuds, and dragon flies. Gotta have damsel and dragon flies. Maybe a couple of sno cones and some adams for dries.

What did I miss?
Minnows! SS

#21 ·
Is the the shallow weedy area? Without a reference I can't tell. Looks like the boat ramp and the other side of the lake is where I usually fish. Hard to tell from the pricture. Guess the proof is in the fishing.

#27 ·
I lost that rod right at the end of a day of fishing, and I watched it bob, bob, bob just up to the point where I was almost back to it with the boat. The fish was still jumping but I couldn't get to the line. By By fly rod, reel, line.

Next day back out on the water early, only a few anglers out on the water, and troutpocket (Rod) and I pass the guy who keyed us in the day before on what the fish were taking, I thank him agaom and then told him about the lost rod. Without a seconds hesitation, he says, "Was it a Loomis". Who would ask that kind of question? I said yes, and he says, "Well come over I've got your rod right here.". WTF Just after he started fishing that morning he hooked something fishing deep (In a completely different spot than I lost the rod) and sure enough he reels up my rod by the very tip. The fish was gone and the leader had broken close to the line. I'm still a little shocked by the whole thing. Less than a 12 hour turn around from lost forever to elation.

Ira..

#30 ·
That is a great story Ira. Some really great guys out there on the water. Some of the others too, but I like to think good thoughts.

Slipstream, where do you get them triploid minnows? Do the shine like a shiner?
I would like to put some in my fish tank, if I had a fish tank.

#32 ·
Hook size 2-10, 3XL. Tail white marabou, body pearl estaz or crystal chenille, mid wing white marabou, body pearl estaz, front wing white marabu, over wing gray marabou then two strands of pearl crystal flash. The original is a Rickard's pattern. He used black thread, but I tie with gray 3/0 or 6/0 thread. If you put it together in the order described you should end up with a killer minnow pattern. Fish it FAST!! Merry Christmas. SS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.