Dry Falls

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Olive bugger, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    Is the the shallow weedy area? Without a reference I can't tell. Looks like the boat ramp and the other side of the lake is where I usually fish. Hard to tell from the pricture. Guess the proof is in the fishing.
  2. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +201 / 0
    Weedy in spots. In the shallowset water not many weeds, they seem to appear as the water gets a bit deeper, like over 12-14". The lake level has been down the last couple of years and pushing through the mud can be tough. I have had success in areas all over the lake.

MB
  3. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Olive,
    I'm sorry your wife won't let you go out with nymphs. If she'll allow them in the house I could send you a few!
    Perhaps a "supervised" visit.
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks Scott.
    Send oxygen with them
  5. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,020 / 1
    I don't remember any cursing. I thought I was relatively calm and introspective about the whole thing. Ok maybe one or two curses. Can you believe how I got that rod back. One of my truly favorite stories.

Ira..
  6. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    OK Ira spill the beans...we've got to hear the story.
  7. Irafly Active Member

I lost that rod right at the end of a day of fishing, and I watched it bob, bob, bob just up to the point where I was almost back to it with the boat. The fish was still jumping but I couldn't get to the line. By By fly rod, reel, line.

Next day back out on the water early, only a few anglers out on the water, and troutpocket (Rod) and I pass the guy who keyed us in the day before on what the fish were taking, I thank him agaom and then told him about the lost rod. Without a seconds hesitation, he says, "Was it a Loomis". Who would ask that kind of question? I said yes, and he says, "Well come over I've got your rod right here.". WTF Just after he started fishing that morning he hooked something fishing deep (In a completely different spot than I lost the rod) and sure enough he reels up my rod by the very tip. The fish was gone and the leader had broken close to the line. I'm still a little shocked by the whole thing. Less than a 12 hour turn around from lost forever to elation.

Ira..
  8. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    That's a great story, thanks for sharing!
    I saw pretty much the same thing on Lenice one day, couldn't believe the magic.
    Don't think I'd ever be that lucky to get an outfit back.
  9. Slipstream Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I always use triploid minnows, which by the way, have been endorsed by the WDFW because they are sterile and can't reproduce. SS
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    That is a great story Ira. Some really great guys out there on the water. Some of the others too, but I like to think good thoughts.

Slipstream, where do you get them triploid minnows? Do the shine like a shiner?
    I would like to put some in my fish tank, if I had a fish tank.
  11. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Slip, that's a good looking fly! Care to share the recipe?
  12. Slipstream Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Hook size 2-10, 3XL. Tail white marabou, body pearl estaz or crystal chenille, mid wing white marabou, body pearl estaz, front wing white marabu, over wing gray marabou then two strands of pearl crystal flash. The original is a Rickard's pattern. He used black thread, but I tie with gray 3/0 or 6/0 thread. If you put it together in the order described you should end up with a killer minnow pattern. Fish it FAST!! Merry Christmas. SS
  13. Irafly Active Member

I've been looking to tie something other than chironomids, I'll start with that.

Ira..