Dry Falls

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Scott Salzer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Any recent DF reports? Planning on heading over later this week.

MB

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Not a true report . . .but about a month ago I stopped by the overlook. Lake was as low as I've ever seen. The entire southwest end was a mud flat and it appeared that the launch closest to the outhouse was unusable. There were about a dozen boats on the water. Good luck and I'm interested to hear your report.

3. Scott Salzer

I knew about the low water. It was been low the past couple of years and the "aquarium" has not been fishable - too bad, nice to sight cast to working fish.

I had heard that it was lower than usual this year.

Thanks TP.

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I have not fished that lake in many years. How is it replenished, underground springs?
    Where does the water come from? Banks Lake?

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    The buzz word for the water over here is Odessa Aquifer. It's been drawn down for a while with more water being used for irrigation than what's replenished. That's why Castle lake is down, Wilson Creek has a bunch of dry creek bed and other little waters are down or non-existent. I fished Wilson Creek for trout back around 1990 and it had good running water. I explored the same area last year and there was dry creek bed. No water, no trout. More water demands in the last 25 years.

Alpine4x4 likes this.
  6. Scott Salzer

Thanks, Zen. I knew it was ground fed but had not heard of the Odessa Aquifer.

7. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Have you heard anything recently on the proposal to draw water from Lake Roosevelt and dump it into Lake Creek??

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

Haven't heard about that but I am following the "proposal" to run additional irrigation water down Billy Clapp and then lower Crab Creek. That's supposed to start in about 2-3 years. It will change how we fish Rocky Ford as the water does get over there thru the cracks in the ground and will increase water flow.

9. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Castle used to be one of my favorite lakes in the 80's went three years ago, got to the ladder and could not believe it!

10. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    No more 12' or 13' leaders? Yooohooo

11. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

I fished there 3 weeks ago with 2 other friends, not a stellar day, but we all landed some, got a few 10" mixed in with the 16-18", my one friend landed a 22" brown, yes..the water was the lowest I ever have seen

12. Scott Salzer

I traveled,through the rain and mixed snow an rain on Thursday, destination DF. The pass was crap but it quit when I hit Eburg.

Fished DF on Thursday. Took a bit to get set up, first day is always like that. Hit the first fish on type VI with a rabbit fur zonker, couple of other hits. The fish that I hit on this was one of the smaller ones so I could have just been at their depth. Had quite a few other bumps, smaller fish(?). Moved into the north shallow bay, no love there. Went back to "goose poop rock", in the channel by the island. Hit a couple of nice fish there. Moved to the south bay and hit a couple more fish down about 10'. Moved to the area below the observation area and fished towards the reeds, a couple of more fish to be had there. Except for the one on the zonker, all these others were on either the red SJW worm black snocone. I WAS ONLY ONE ON THE LAKE!

Ran into the state park area manager - Sun Lakes & Steamboat, a contractor and a local fly club guy. Due to the low water, there is some interest in improving the north launch area (the south launch is unusable). Not an easy project with wetlands. The water was as low as I have ever seen it and another 1-2 feet will make it darn near impossible to launch at the traditional sites. Some discussion whether the draw down last year on Banks affected the H2O level at DF, hmmmm. The other alkai lakes east of DF pretty much dried up.

On to Saturday. With the mixed success on Friday, I pondered heading home. Wait, traveled 4 hours through crappy weather to catch just a few fish, tent camp in the 30 degree temps - gotta at least try. Besides, I had to pick up a bat detector that I set on the island. I picked up the detector and set to do a bit of bobber fishing. First cast, take down, one fish to the net. Next two casts, take down. Hmmm, looking good. I stayed in one spot and ended up with 10 fish by 0900, and left with 20 to the net at 1030. There were some misses too. This was all on bobbers, 10' down. So, to answer the question, yes, you can fish below an indicator in the fall / winter.

One other float tube guy showed up just as I was leaving. That was the only other person I saw on the lake.

The fish were healthy, except for one snaky guy. Small guys, 10-12' are feisty, most were in the 16 - 18" range, all bows.

Done on the dry side for the season. Always nice to make one more late trip.

Sorry for the length of this, I'm not usually this wordy - long drive and a couple of toddys.

Safe travels to ya - And thanks to all the veterans and their families.

MB

13. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

Cool report. What's the bat detector for?

Ed Call likes this.
  14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Detecting bats? Sorry, couldn't resist.

15. Islander

Islander Steve

Great report Scott. Glad you stuck with it and got into some nice fish.

16. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Thanks for the report.

17. Scott Salzer

Ed - duh.... - Good one

The bat detector is used to hear the echolocation signals to determine what bats are in the area. You can record their signals and
    'make" them discernible as to what bats are around since their signals cannot be heard. It is interesting stuff.

Screw he fishing - lets talk about bats. I didn't catch any bats.

You guys re funny.

18. sroffe

sroffe Member

Did you detect any bats?

19. Scott Salzer

This is a follow up on the bat detector.

No bats detected the first night in Sun Lakes State Park.

On the island in Dry Falls:

First bat was a canyon bat - Parastrellus Hesperus - Used to be known as "evening bat" since they were often the first one out flying.

At 1751 - California bat - Myotis Californicus

At 1803 & 2118 - Little brown bat -Myotis Lucifugus

At 1903 & 2118: California bat again.

Irafly, jwg and troutpocket like this.
  20. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Scott, where did you get the bat detector? Curious landowners want to know...