Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dry Falls

977 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  freestoneangler 
#1 ·
Anyone fished it the last couple of weeks... one for the short list?

#2 ·
Wow... 205 views and not a single piece of intell. Well, I had to decide on somewhere, so DF it was. Arrived Thursday at about 11:00 after getting a campsite at the state park...which was no problem as the place was nearly empty. I could have wished for better weather, but the wish would have been unanswered as it was near perfect. About 80F, azure blue skies and a light wind. I fished buggers with hares ear, beatis and flashback PT trailers and managed 4 to hand and several quick releases. I stayed out until 8:45pm hoping that a little top action might start along the cat-tails as I saw a few fish working the area. One great take and a tail-walk I'd not experienced in some time -- that fish wanted that bug in a serious way...and he still has it :eek:. They were only 3 others out on the lake and the catch rate was about the same from what I could see.

Friday was a much better day with 14 to the hemostat. I never netted or handled a fish in 3 days -- able to slip the hook on all. I like doing that when I can as I think it's the least likely to effect them. There might have been 6-7 of us on the lake Friday. Spent some time working the weed bed/drops...but nada... dredging was the only approach working. [A shout out to Sportsman for leaving all that great mojo on the sink line that was on the V2 spare spool I bought from him last month!]

Saturday had a few more folks on the lake, but still very light pressure. I brought 8 to the hemostat; including the largest of the trip looked to be an honest 18 inches. All Rainbows...not a single Brown... which, except for one Tiger, is what everyone else I spoke with caught.

It was a nice break from work and enough catching to keep things interesting. Still, DF seems not to be the lake of old and the water level looked to be down maybe a foot from normal. Speaking of low water, seen the Columbia at Vantage? Wow, that's as low as I recall ever seeing it...must be drawdown for the Wanapum issue?

Last picture was a Bullsnake looking for some swallows...I think.

Plant Sky Water Plant community Watercraft
Water Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Mountain Lake
Water Liquid Vertebrate Fluid Marine biology
Water Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology
Water Liquid Fluid Lake Fin
Reptile Scaled reptile Snake Terrestrial animal Serpent

#7 ·
Very nice. Any idea of the water temp?
I started digging for my thermometer and jabbed my finger on something twice...said screw it...it is whatever temp it is and I can't change it anyway. Thanks for reminding that I need to find out whether it's still where I think it is and find out what the hell is in there that drew blood :).

see any callibaetis?
Only a few...maybe size 16. As I mentioned there was a couple of short periods that I saw fish working the drop offs along the weed beds, but I just could not get them looking my way. Definitely not as good a hatch as I've seen this time of year over the years.

may have to pay DF a visit
Still one of my favorite lakes... and they were most cooperative where we fished it last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.