Dry flies/hatch help

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Gdesch, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Gdesch New Member

Carnation, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I am pretty new to fly fishing and am lucky to live right next to, with access to, a private lake in east King County. I have regularly been getting into some pretty good rainbows pulling streamers with a sinking leader on floating line. The other evening I noticed a hatch going on and saw a couple of rises. I switched out to my normal leader and threw some small elk hair caddis and parachute Adams flies (being new I only have a couple of dry flies making the choice easier) Well I got no love off of these flies. Any tips on what might be hatching right now and what I might throw for some surface action?

Thanks!

Greg
  2. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Midges are the only thing that will be hatching right now. Although you might also see fish rising to ovipositing females or dying males and females. You have several options for flies. Try soft hackles, emergers, adult female ovipositors, or adults. If you manage to figure it out let the rest of us know. Those evening rises can at times on lakes be very difficult to figure out.
  3. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +75 / 9
    Ty on a Emerger have no idea Google it plenty of choices try to match whatever coming off
  4. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,255 / 0
    How big are your parachute adams? In smaller sizes they can work fairly well as a midge emerger. Anymore I use a small softhackle in those situations. Cast into the rise ring and make very small, very short strips. Just enough to get movement from the hackles.
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +201 / 0
    I'd second the emerger but would also suggest that you also look to triploidjunkie's suggestion.
  6. Gdesch New Member

Carnation, Wa
    Thanks for the tips. Honestly I don't know the size of the Parachute Adams, like I said I am pretty new at this. I do have some flies that are smaller than it so I reckon I should go smaller based on triploid's advice. Will also try some midge emergers and other soft hackles and see if I can get any attention.
  7. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    small Renegade or Griffiths Nat
  8. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Hi Greg, the first thing you need to recognize the rise form. Are they eating something under the surface, in the film or on top? Did you see faint swirls, head/dorsal or splashy rises? Each type of rise usually means a specific stage of the insect being eaten. Once you "crack the code".....good times to be had! That's the allure and challenge of fly fishing! Good luck!
  9. Gdesch New Member

Carnation, Wa
    Steve,
    Hmmmm, guess I need to pay more attention to what is happening on/near the surface. I was just excited to see anything happening up top. That excitement was followed by slow, sad trombone sounds as nothing I threw out there got any attention.

Went out again this afternoon but pulled the ultimate rookie move by leaving my box of flies on my workbench. Luckily I still had an olive bugger tied on from last time. Didn't even get a bump but the sun felt good on my face so I'll call it a win.

Greg
  10. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Trip nailed it, small #14,#16 & #18 (you can go bigger on the east side) grey or black softies on a floater. I even put a 1.5mm or 2mm bead on some just to help brake the surface film, seems to work when others fail, at least for me....But hold on tight !!!!!
  11. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    For those surface sippers this time of year, keep the flies small, no bigger than #16 and preferably 18 or 20 (larger number = smaller hook, right?). Also you will need to step the tippet down, too, to 5x or 6x to have those small flies act naturally.

Dick
  12. Sinkline Active Member

Ratings: +56 / 0
    Sometimes stillwaters have a strong inflow from a stream/creek and experience hatches of stream dwelling "bugs" hatching in the stillwater as they are washed down stream during the hatch process. Last Friday my fishing friend and I were up above 3000' on a small Stillwater and experienced a MAJOR hatch of #16 Mayflys that I believe were a baetis. They were for sure not Calibaetis. The Mayfly hatch was mixed with Chironomids and was as strong as any Spring hatch!

There is an excellent Stillwater here in the Willamette Valley that has large Cutthrout. This water has a strong stream inflow and harvested fish always have Stoneflies in their bellies. One good angler I know that fishes this Stillwater catches many fish on the reservoir proper with stonefly drys.

Randy
    troutpocket likes this.
  13. Gdesch New Member

Carnation, Wa
    Steve,
    Interesting comment as where I was fishing was right at the mouth of a tiny creek that feeds into the stream.

On that note a non-fisherman tried to tell me today that I can't fish within 100' of the stream mouth as it is where the trout go to breed. Am i being catfished or is there any truth to that?

Greg
  14. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +195 / 0
    Could be true about the spawning (somewhat unlikely but certainly possible), but if that regulation isn't listed for that lake specifically then you're okay to fish wherever on the lake. So, the refrain is: "Check the regs."
  15. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Like Matt said, check the regs or call WDF. Seems odd to me as most rainbows are spring spawners while triploids don't spawn....do salmon spawn in the stream?
  16. Gdesch New Member

Carnation, Wa
    I check the regs and there is no mention of the lake at all. There are rainbows and cutthroats but no salmon.