Dry Fly Caddis Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by troutman101, Jul 6, 2006.

1. I am putting mine in the mail today.

2. I dropped my offerings at the Post Office today. They should arrive tomorrow.

Steve

3. I dropped mine off about an hour ago. The Labrador Caddis are on their way.

4. Flies are tied and will be in priority mail tommorow. Just to let you guys know, I couldn't find a "pure dry" pattern I really like (and would fish) that wasn't a sparkle caddis, so I did some parasol caddis instead. Hopefully this doesn't violate the swap rules. :)

-- Cheers
    -- james

5. So far I have 5 packages so one more and I will do the big sendout. No rules really, just trying to get some cool patterns to swap and so far so good.

6. Okay guys, swap is done. I am going fishing tomorrow and then doing the mailing on Saturday. Expect flies in your mailbox early next week.

7. Help! Troutman address needed? Please PM me with it! I'm lame and forgot to send the flies out like I said I would on monday! :(

8. James, your flies came today so guess what that means....

Yup, flies are getting photographed and then mailed out on Wednesday.

Thanks again for contributing. These are just what the troutman ordered.

9. Okay guys, I was a little behind in getting the packages out. All of them went in the mail and will be picked up Monday at noon.

The good news; any of the flies are October Caddis dries. Perfect for right now eh?

Go catch some fish!

Thanks for participating.

-Tony

10. Thank you Tony for a Great Swap ! Sorry I didn't tag mine, it's the CDC Caddis. Also sorry I forgot to put money in there for Ya. I completely spaced it out, I was so busy getting ready for my daughters to come out I completely spaced it. I am sending you a check to cover the cost. All of the Flies are superb! I can't wait to try them out.

11. All the flies are great...... Good job everyone! :thumb: :thumb:

12. Many thanks folks for your hard work. Lots of diversity and ideas to chew over. The parasol pattern was especially interesting. How much trouble are they to tie, especially in smaller sizes?

I submitted two flies because I was not totally convinced of the floatability and durability of the raffia winged October caddis after I had tied up about half a dozen. I ended up doubling up the wings (some flies were retrofit after originally tied) which traps more air and should make the wings tougher. The second October caddis explored another way to put together the wings, this time with slips of turkey and to provide the head with floation, spun green/yellow deer hair.

Steve

13. I totally agree that the swap was a big success. I was hoping to get some innovative ideas and sure enough, there are some really good ones.

Just so you guys know, the one I sent you is probably my favorite pattern to fish. It is a simple fly and quick to tie but EXTREMELY effective. What is unfortunate is that I cannot find the same dubbing anywhere and I am down to my last ounce. Worse than crack! If anyone knows of a nice coarse synthetic dubbing that will twist and look similar, please let me know.

Stephen, the cost was nothing and I already had the envelope so don't sweat it. I received $5 from one of the tyers and I spent about $2 of my own money so it all balances out. Besides, it is a small price to pay for what I gained for this swap.

Thanks again everyone.

14. Parasols are absurdly easy to tie. It's basically your favorite pattern just with a piece of 4x with a parasol on it tied into the body. The only trouble with them is you need to throw them with wide loops or they wrap over themselves, and they don't throw worth a shit in the wind!

To create the parasol, just use 2 1" pieces of normal poly yarn. Do a improved clinch knot in the middle of both pieces. Cinch it *HARD* down. Tie it into the body where ever you want and just tie the fly just like normal. Once the fly is finished, pull up *HARD* on the yarn and cut it straight across. For small flies 1/8" is good, for larger 1/4"....

-- Cheers
    -- James