Dry Fly

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ringlee, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    I really enjoy fishing for SRC's for dry flies. I have done fishing them during the winter and spring. I fish them year round though cause it is awesome to see these fish attack stuff on the surface. I was just wondering if other people have done good during other times during the year with these flies?
  2. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +657 / 0
    Oh Yeah...big time. I use dries most of the time on the salt for cutts. I dont catch as many as I did when I was using everything, but Oh Baby! they do take it hard. Fun stuff. Im using Stimulators and elk hair Caddis Flys, an Adams here and there...just about anything will work. And I drag it like crazy too, lots of action and waking, twitching etc. If I had a Dapping Floss I would use it as we get a lot of wind here on the beaches. My go-to fly is a very cheap and heavily greased up muddler, size 6 or 8. I do like Leland Miyawaki's Beach Poppers very much too.
  3. avs16win Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    WHEEERE?!!

I obviously dont expect an answer to that but I sure am sick of getting skunked up and down the seattle public beaches.
  4. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Bob, would you use the 17' Dapping Rod or something more traditional? Steve
  5. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    Bob, Do you tye those flies on saltwater hooks? I like using little sliders and a big one occasionally. I used a Gurgler today and hooked a fish and got a real nice boil. I really strip like crazy to make that thing make lots of action on the surface. I agree that you might not get as many fish with a dry but it is awesome to see those fish boil!
  6. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    You gotta love those surface takes.

Seems to me that many times the take will actually happen under water, after the initial hit. The initial hit is just to smack it down, then they come back around to get their stunned prey. I've heard the opinion that the initial hit is just a miss, but the initial hit seems too purposeful, intended to submerge the fly/prey, followed quickly by the hard take. What's your take on that?
  7. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Best fly for me this past year has been a deer hair popper, and I use them year round. So far this winter most are turning up their noses to surface takes around the beaches I've been hitting, but still will show themselves. Without a doubt I'd rather catch one on a dry than several on sink tips.
  8. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +657 / 0
    Jim, Yes, I see that with Trout often. Jack Dennis used to show a film of abrown coming up beneath a mouse and whacking it silly, then circling back to grab it with a polite little sip. Sometimes the cutts will whack a fly and then grab it definately. You do have to let them take the thing. If your are too quick on the draw, well, adios.

Steve R; I would use a light spey, like the Sage five weight, with a dapping floss. That might be a lot of fun and a heck of a lot easier than lofting a dopuble taper so much. But the easy thing about using the rod and line as I do now, just a normal double taper line and nine foot rod, is that it is very versatile. Once you commit to the floss line and long dapping rod, you have to use it that way. Limited presentation capacity.
  9. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +268 / 0
    I think doing the chuck n' duck/variable strip method is a lot of fun, and quite simple. I use heavy, bead-headed woolley buggers and bunny leeches. This involves less false-casting than using dries, but because I'm casting something so heavy, it seems like I get tired either way. I love Seattle beaches, despite the chance of catching a wrinkle-necked brown (sewer plants). I can only imagine what a cleaner, less-used part of the Sound like Hood Canal or the Narrows would be like. Has anyone here tried the Willapa Bay area? I've seen some huge (20") cutts pulled out of the Willapa River, but don't know a lot about the estuary it flows into. I'm sure it's awesome, though.
  10. Searuns are very sensitive to pollution. I am actually surprized that there are any in the Seattle area. Whenever I see water with a rainbow sheen I wonder how anything can survive in it. Oh technology and advancements. The places that I have done best are beaches with very few houses. Just a thought. Also a stinger hook (like Leland's Popper and other Poppers) will result in more hookups because the fish seem to either nudge it or just nip at the tail. I also think that it is more of a curiosity thing rather than a feeding thing, however I know others believe that they are interested in a broken back baitfish. Either way they do not take it completely. It is a great way to find fish. If you have two rods rigged up in a boat you can either start with the popper and switch to your casting rig. Another way to find them is to troll and then switch to your casting rig. Either way will cut your searching time down significantly.