Drying box

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by TrappedinCO, Feb 6, 2007.

1. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

I've been toying with the idea of building a drying box for my rods. Before I tackle designing one from scratch, I thought I'd see if any of you guys had any suggestions.

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

My drying box is pretty simple. A bunch of 1x1's tacked together and used heavy duty plastic to cover it (stapled tight). Use a couple lamps in it to keep it warm..... Some folks like it a lot more fancy, but this works and cost less than $15 to make.

3. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

James and I have written on this subject perviously. It is important that the rod be ROTATED as the epoxy is drying; rotated wither manually or on a powered "rotissarie" arrangement.

Without rotation, the drying epoxy is sure to noticeably "sag".

SuperDave

4. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

A simple box that I use for drying varnish on bamboo rods is a large cardboard wardrobe box you can buy from storage companies. I use a 250 watt light bulb for heat. Tape the box up good to keep dust out, and insert a dowell or old rod section in the top of the box to hang the rod sections.

Dawn Holbrook, the long deceased Seattle-based bamboo rodmaker, used to recommend varnishing in the bathroom to minimize dust. This would never, ever work in my house.....

I'm not sure whether these systems would be useful for drying epoxy, but thought I'd share.

Tom

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Wow, the simplicity of your solution makes even my 1x1 stuff look down right Rube-Goldburg! I think I'm going to use that from now on, as I broke my drying box during transit recently, and wasn't really keen about fixing it....