Dryside steelheading

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Salmo_g, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,686 / 0
    I've been asked from time to time how an angler can find a good place to fish for steelhead. Well, steelheading is a lot like hunting. You spend a lot of your time hunting for places where a steelhead might be. The skill is called reading the water. Or there are other tell-tale signs to look for as well.

OK, the photo order is bassackwards, but in reverse they tell the story. Sometimes the signs of steelhead aren't in the water; they can be on the land as the cairn of stacked rocks indicates. This should be a good place to fish. Indeed, the middle photo shows a steelhead hooked up in this very water with the cairn still in the photo background. And in the first photo, which is supposed to be last, the steelhead came to hand by fishing water that was well signed. The bait was an October caddis skated across the pool. That's all there is to it.

Sg
  2. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +734 / 0
    thanks for the tip,It seems so simple a caveman could do it !!!!!
  3. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    You sure that cairn didn't mean "Private Property... No Fishing Beyond This Point"? :)
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,686 / 0
    Evan,

I'm not sure what it meant, other than that it looked like it could be part of a fishing story.

Sg
  5. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,207 / 0
    I think it clearly meant "Cast Here" as Sg did and hooked a fish right in front of it. I'll have to be on the lookout for these telltale signs. All these years of looking that the water and I should have been looking for cairns instead! Thanks for the tip Sg!
  6. slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

Spokane Washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    That's my problem, I keep thinking those cairns mean "crack a beer"!
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Great report!! Steve,

That's amazing it really work! fun read! : )

Mark
  8. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +241 / 0
    Nice day, SG. The challenge is recognizing good holding water. Something might look like good water, but if there aren't any fish in it (or they don't want to play), good holding water will be just a productive as crappy holding water. Because steelheading is lots of casting and little catching, it can take time to build confidence that this section deserves lots of attention, but that section is not worth the time. I recently had a pretty productive multi-day trip on the east side and that was a great boost to my confidence in my judgement of good water. Experience + success.

Steve
  9. Angler 77 AKA Scott Jones

Port Townsend, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Good looking fish, complete with all the fins one might expect to see on a steelhead.
  10. jason.allen Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I caught a steel in this spot this year too. No cairnes though.
  11. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    On top with a Oct caddis! Nice
  12. Dan Cuomo Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I love it! I too would be absolutely convinced that the cairn was indeed a "sign." You realized the benefit, because you were open to the message. Makes perfect sense to me, which perhaps merely suggests that you and I are similarly wired... or weird. Great little vignette, and as ribka remarked... "On top with an Oct caddis! Nice.." Nice indeed.
  13. abobrien Alex O'Brien

puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have fished some rivers that guys mark where the they caught steelhead by making a v-shape with two sticks.
  14. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,087 / 1
    I will now nock all cairnes down and only build them where I don't hit fish :)
  15. Methow Roamer Seeker of the Exotic and Aquatic

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I know exactly where those pics were takes SalmoG! :thumb:
  16. Broderick Smith SeaToTree

SeaToTree, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Also know that exact spot after seeing the house - we called it dead deer hole a few years ago. Nice work on the dry!
  17. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I read an article in Januarys issue of the Good Life magizine about a local guy named Toby Johnson who travels around the area stacking rocks as an art form. Some of them look pretty cool.