3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Adam Saarinen 
#1 ·
Sorry no vid! But it works!
Wood Gas Machine Auto part Automotive wheel system
Automotive design Eyewear Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper
Tableware Drinkware Stemware Barware Wood

See less See more
#6 ·
Love the spool for the crank handle. I assume the aluminum flip table is rigid enough that you could make some sort of lock attacked to the table supports and get rid of the spool that is propping it up. Perhaps some sort of pin or square block that attaches to the top of the post and extends over the back edge of the table should do the trick.

#8 ·
I like the reel to prop it, since I used part of it for the crank, the other part had to be utilized as well. It makes no difference in functionality whether I use it or some fancy stop. And it goes with the overall theme. :). I will try and post a vid but am a little challenged in that department.

#11 ·
I don't fish saltwater, so I've never tried stainless. I use copper 0.006" or small Utrawire.

I found that while I can get the few initial turns to securely trap the dubbing material between the wires, I need to cut it at the non-turning end so I can let the twisted wire contract by keeping moderate tension with my fingers....if the fixed length of the twisted wire isn't allowed to contract as you twist the strands it will, indeed, break at some point. Even a ductile material like copper or Ultrawire has its limits. Of course, with a thread dubbing loop the dubbing tool slowly moves toward the fly as you tighten the winding of the trapped materials. Same principle, but the limitations of the wire are more apparent when the length is fixed between the ends of the dubbing table device.

#12 ·
I thought about incorporating a spring like tensioning dilly but ended up just going this way. I may still do it in the near future I just need to find something with just the right resistance so that it won't give right away. As it is now I realized that if I don't stop at a certain point it pretty much cuts the fibers. I did a test last night where I just kept spinning, there's probably a little heat involved as well, from the friction.

#20 ·
Nice work man! Looks great.

I can't tell from the pic, is the table in the middle removable?
I attached it on the back inch with a couple pegs. There's a cotter pin support on the right side that when pulled out drops the table to vertical. I think this will be the beta version. After cranking out a handful of brushes I found a couple things I'd like to improve. And, I have about 500' of first growth redwood tongue and groove 2x6's (salvaged from a storage pier in SF) that will make a really pretty tool once I get the kinks out. @Squamishpoacher I'll let you know once I get the choice version in production!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.