Duck Hunt in the Okanogan

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Rick Todd, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Two friends and I went over to my cabin in Winthrop and Friday got a guided duck hunt on Lake Pateros. We all had our 7 duck limit by 10 am and I don't think I have ever had such consistent duck hunting action. Groups of 2-10 ducks came in about every 5 minutes as well as singles. They were mostly diver ducks (also kind of new for me) and they are fast fliers! They remind me of large teal in their flight pattern. It offered challenging shooting and I also had never hunted out of a lay out blind for ducks (had for geese) and getting up to a sitting position, shouldering the gun and getting off a shot at these fast fliers was a interesting! My duck per shot average was not stellar, but eventually it got the job done. We ended up with a mixed bag of widgeon, blue bills, red heads, golden eye, and we also saw but didn't shoot some canvas backs. A great hunt! Rick View attachment 47560 View attachment 47559

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

good for you! that's quite a mixed bag of ducks.

3. Islander

Islander Steve

Excellent report Rick. Nice pics also. Glad you were successful. If you want my Lemon Herb breast recipe let me know.

4. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

That looks fun! Nice job! Need to get me a Redhead and a Can one of these days.

5. flyfisher228

flyfisher228 Member

I would be interested in your lemon herb breast recipe if you care to share. In exchange, I would be willing to share several favorite duck breast recipes (cranberry/grand marinier duck, mixed berry/balsalmic duck breasts, flying prime rib duck breasts).

6. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Good to see someone has some birds to decoy. Well done.

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Nice outing Rick, shoot me the info on your guide when you have a minute or two...Thanks.

9. Islander

Islander Steve

I PM'd the recipe to you.

10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Nicely done, Rick. Kind of surprised at the number of red heads. Glad you are getting some winter use of the cabin.

MB

11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Scott-even though it is a drive through Stevens from Bellingham, I've been over a couple times. We all need to meet over there for some fishing this spring! Thanks you guys for the duck recipes! Rick

12. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Just name the day, I'm in!

MB

13. Islander

Islander Steve

"I'm in" also, but I'll have to shovel 10 inches of snow from my driveway first. bawling: