Ducks calling Daschofsky

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Roper, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Quack, quack, quack...:rofl:

Hey Jerry, what would you do with several (hopefully) wild ducks? I'm thinking smoke one at least...got any other ideas?

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a few. Smoking is always good. I was thinking stuffed and roasted with taters and veggies. I can put up some recipes. But wild duck has such good flavor hard to overly cover it.

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Don't hold back on my account. What would you use for stuffing? I'm thinking rosemary would be a good spice to add...

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yup Rosemary, some sage, and a little thyme. Maybe toss a slice of lemon and orange in as well. Light dusting of salt over birds rubbed in skin and toss veggies around them in the pot.

5. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Member

Media:
    Jerry - How about duck breasts...favorite recipe?

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Part `em out into pieces, marinate overnight in unsweetened pineapple juice and soy, skewer `em with onion, mushroom, bell pepper and pineapple chunks intertwined with thick applewood-smoked bacon, and grill till the bacon's done. Serve on a bed of basmati or Saffron rice, and don't forget the champagne!

I've hunted ducks for better than half a century, and had `em cooked every way imaginable. Folks almost always overcook duck for some reason, but I gotta tell ya, sliced thin and seared, duck and steak tartare are almost identical!!

7. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Are ya ready for this? I've never eaten duck! But I'm gettin' hungry right now!
    All these sound really good!

8. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Roper:

You givin up on dem grouses? Or, just trying to expand you hunting chances? Nothing nicer than pass shooting teal, not much meat to put in the pot but a heck of a lot of fun.

MB

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Scott, I'll quit hunting grouse when I quit breathing. Until then there's no harm in trying other birds. I'm just not sure I could sit for turkeys...

We'll be chasing some quail in the afternoon if all goes well.

10. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

A great Marine, (WWII), & damn good friend of mine, (Lloyd Patno, may he rest in peace), gave me a recipe a number of years ago, for a sweet orange sauce that would go great with grilled/roasted pork, fowl,or just about any other small wild game, rabbit, etc.

Into a small sauce pan, with the heat adjusted to low, add;
    3 pats of butter
    1 cup Lt. brown sugar
    1tsp salt
    2 minced garlic cloves
    (Optional)-1/3 cup stovetop roasted, peeled & seeded, (color of your choice) bell peppers chopped-(Optional)
    1 to 2 tbsp hot sauce (your choice of brand, &/or add it accordingly to what can give a little heat without killing you)
    6 pre-rolled/softened oranges with a little of the pulp, squeezed into the sauce pan, plus enough water to melt the sugar into a syrup, (Please, Remove seeds 1st)
    Or,
    1 frozen can of orange juice concentrate,
    plus,
    3tbsp of lemon juice,
    one cup of water with two tsp of cornstarch, mixed well
    bring mixture to a low boil, ......prior to adding the watered down cornstarch slowly, whisking/stirring constantly to avoid scorching the sauce

Ladle/pour mixture over the cooked prepared meat,

serve immediately,

enjoy, ............bon appetitte

(my French ain't that good, but this sauce is)

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

you can eat all the ducks you want, the fank feathers is what I'm interested in.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    For breasts I simply put a light rub of salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika and sear it then bake til done. Serve over wild rice. I do cheat and do like Alex. I use Tom Douglas teriyaki garlic marinade and soak breasts. Sear up and serve over rice.

13. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Keep it simple and quick: coat duck breasts in lemon pepper seasoning, grilled to medium rare only. Slice thin, serve with your favorite mustard as appetizers or snacks.

14. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Duck'n Eggs for breakfast. Coat breast in a mixture of flour and finely crumbled saltine crackers (equal amonuts), add some seasoning salt and pan fry in olive oil. Serve with crispy hash browns and a couple of eggs over easy and toast. SS

15. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Roasted duck is great!

However I like to breast out the ducks and geese that are pretty shot up. I then rinse them in cold water several times; checking for shot and removing as much blood/clots as possible. I them cover them in salt water in a plastic container, place in the frig for 24 hours. Remove from the salt water, rinse and allow to drain for several hours. I then cut the breasts in thin strips (about 1/4 inch thick) cutting across the "grain". I then shake each strip in baggie containing a mixture of flour, favorite steak seasoning and old Bay seasoning. Fry the strips in hot olive oil with some garlic turing frequently to your desired doneness. I usually sevre with favorite steamed fresh vegetable, wild rice or bread stuffing with a glass of your favorite wine.

However the best part of the fried strips is making sandwiches with the leftovers. Yesterday's lunch in the blind included bagels with cream cheese and snow goose strips - ymmmm!

Also like to use breast duck/goose strips in place of beef in my favorite stronganoff recipe.

A couple of my grandkid's favorite way to have duck is what they call "clam fried duck". Batter and deep fry as you would clam strips.

Tight lines
    Curt

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, Karl is right on too. Medium rare. You don't want it well done. Gets tough.

17. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

Salt & pepper, dredge in flour, fry medium rare (breasts) in fresh garlic, rosemary and olive oil...Then, finish with a flambe of GIN---Outstanding!!

Enjoy!

18. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    If you check the cast and blast you'll see I have plenty o'duck to play around with and two geese to boot. I'm going for Karl's KISS approach first. Then I'll try some other. Report to follow...

19. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Good tip Curt. I served duck stew to a boyfriend once who claimed not to like duck. He loved the stew, "the best he'd ever eaten", that is until he bit into a piece of shot and figured out it was some of the duck he shot the previous weekend!

20. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Well. I breasted out one of the Mallards and had a breast for lunch. Just split one in half, lightly sauteed in butter, olive oil, salt and pepper. Garnished with some Grey Poupon and it was delicious. Can't wait to try a few other spices...