Ducktail Green Drake

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by pittendrigh, Jan 12, 2013.

1. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Al Troth told us (at a Bozeman fly tying seminar) you have to work on a new pattern eight hours a day for a minimum of three or four days to get it right. I tend to morph that into one hour a day for a week or two.

Green Drakes range 16mm to 20mm long. Or about 13/16" thirteen sixteenths of an inch long at the biggest. The extended duck flank tail on this one decouples fly size from hook size, which makes it possible to use a smaller hook.
    #18 scud hook
    dyed duck flank abdomen
    cdc wing
    dun hackle tied in no wider than the gape of the small hook, so the abdomen kisses the surface tension for most of its length, as does the real bug. Green Drake imitations tend to get complex and difficult. This one does its best to keep it simple.
    [​IMG]

dfl likes this.
  2. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

What happens to that duck flank when wet? I would imagine it gets pretty thin.

3. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Good question. But it still floats. And it shakes off and dies out well. And quickly. Duck flank feathers represent eons of water-shedding evolution. Green drakes do have particularly fat abdomens. I suppose you could mix in a few green-dyed squirrel tail fibers, But most mayflies don't have fat abdomens. Most are little more than a thin gray line. The (above) Green Drake is new. Un-fished and untested. But I HAVE been fishing Ducktail BWOs and PMDs for almost four years now. They grow on you--because they work so well. Float well. Catch fish. And most of all because they're easy to tie.

Bradley Miller likes this.