Dumb float tube question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kcahill, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +255 / 2
    Is there a safe way to get into a float tube from a dock?

Let us say the area around the dock is incredibly muddy\silty and you would sink to your knees in muck, The dock pretty much sits a foot or two above the water(step down into a boat)

I do not own a float tube and have never used one so this is probably a really stupid question but i figured I would ask.

edit: There is no ladder, I could put one on but I am lazy(but it may be the safest route)
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I'd like to video the first attempt. I think I could get $10K for the tape.
    troutpounder and Bill Aubrey like this.
  3. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    :(
  4. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    You might just as well do a canon ball.
  5. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Yeah I figured, i spent this afternoon building a ladder to install to make it safe.
  6. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +217 / 0
    I have contemplated a similar situation and came to the conclusion that even if I could get into my float tube from a dock ( with a kind of a jump and slither thing...) I would not be able to exit by the same strategy - gravity only works one way. Remember, you have only successfully climbed Everest if you also make it back down. If the shore was too muddy to get into the lake, it is surely too muddy to exit the lake.

Steve
  7. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I wasnt worried about getting out I could just use my arms to lift myself out of the lake, but getting in without doing a cannonball worried me, I ended up building a heavily sloped ladder so I can ease myself in and out with the float tube.

I have a raft I fish out of that stays in the lake permanently but I am having a houseguest for a week that also fly fishes so I needed to figure out a way to get in and out.
  8. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Instead of ladder, how about a ramp. Lubricate it. Get out the video camera.
  9. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +217 / 0
    The dock that you are using must not have been as high as the one I was thinking of using....
    Steve
  10. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +128 / 0
    I've done it in a pontoon boat and it was very awkward. I think your ramp will probably work though.