Dumbest Carp question ever asked...

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kaiserman, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I've been having a ton of fun fishing for these as late, and it keeps me in shape for steelie fish'n. :D

However last time out, the wind was blowing and there was a pollen on the water, which made sight fishing a bit more challenging. After finally "dialing in" something the would take, I decided to cut one open to see what it was eating. What I found, led me to ask maybe the dumbest question ever.

Has anyone ever tried eating one of these fish?

After every study I've done on these fish, they pretty much eat everything a trout does (except trout will eat dead decaying stuff - whereas a carp will not) and they eat their "fruits and veggies" as well - seeds, flower pedals, etc.

I'm sure, just like trout, that if caught in a dirty mud puddle, they probably wouldn't taste that great. Yet a few places that I catch them, the water isn't dirty or polluted.

Their meat is white like a halibut or other fish with similar meat... so... ? Hey, I warned you it might be the dumbest question ever, just say'n.

And before you say it, I'll beat you to it - "Hey, eat one and get back to us."

Well, I might actually just do that... Just wondering if anyone has ever tried them. Just think, Catfish aren't exactly a "sexy" fish - but they sure are yummy!

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I know a lot of people of asian descent that love to eat carp.

3. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Media:
  4. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Recipe for cedar plank BBQ carp: Soak a cedar plank overnight. Soak carp filet in buttermilk overnight. Over charcoal bbq, place carp filet on plank, season with lemon pepper, cook until flakey, remove from Bbq, throw carp filet away and eat plank.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

crequa, David A. and stilly stalker like this.
  5. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    My wife asked me this exact question just a few days ago. Curious to know what your findings are, however I have a feeling eating carp is a lot like eating a coyote. Yea, I wouldn't either....

6. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Pretty big in Korea carp are everywhere for sale....

Attached Files:

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Carp is the most eaten fish worldwide.

I've heard from some that carp from clean, colder waters is actually quite good.

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I know a lot of people like it. I've never tried it though. It was introduced all over America as a food fish, raised for eating. That's why you see them today.
    The tench I catch, which are cousins to carp, I have no idea how or why they're here.

9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Yeah Evan, that's kinda what I was wondering too...

My brother has a friend in MT that swears his best tasting fish, is a sucker! He calls it a Redhorse sucker, but I'm not sure those are in MT. He told my brother, that they are not the gold/bronze/brown colored ones, they have a deep reddish brown (maroon like) color on their back.

Anyway, he's had bass, catfish, etc., and says the "Redhorse" is the best tasting fish ever.

That's it. After they spawn, I'm putting one on the BBQ.... maybe with a cedar plank though, you know, just in case. :p

10. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Media:
    Being of Asian descent, I've eaten loads of carp, and not only common carp, but also grass, bighead and silver (the species currently plaguing your Missouri-Mississippi-Illinois waterways), etc ad nauseam. They're full of bones, but the firm-textured meat is easy to pick out if you know how to use chopsticks. Carp is actually quite tasty if they come from clean waters, or have been kept in clean water for a few days prior to consumption.

A great way to prepare them is by steaming, the simplest method being with ginger, spring onions, shitake mushrooms, light soy sauce and good rice wine (e.g. Shaoxing), like so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For extra flavor, here's a bighead carp in black bean sauce:

[​IMG]

(Images are from the Internet)

And so on and so forth.

Bon App├ętit!

Kenneth

weiliwen, Irafly and Jeff Cheng like this.
  11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Redhorse suckers in the spring from cold water back home weren't too bad; the meat was firm & fairly sweet. I beer-battered a carp from the cold, clear water of the Jefferson River one time when I was a kid. I had tried it & thought it was okay. Dad (who was born & raised in Missouri) came home from work, picked up a piece & took a bite as he asked ". . . what is this?" When I replied "Carp," he spit it out & told me I was nuts. That was my only experience. I did take great pains to remove all traces of fat or dark meat from the fish & in retrospect still think that it really did taste okay. I doubt if I'd try them from the warmer water around here.

12. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    My dad tells a story of how his cousins, aunts, and uncles would often just happen to stop by for perch frys and basically eat like it was an endless buffet. One time my grandfather tired of this, and fried up carp and served that to them all night. Didn't tell them until they had their fill that they had eaten carp all night. They didn't believe him. I think almost any healthy fish that lives in clean, cold water will be decent to eat.

13. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    American's look down on a lot of things that make perfectly acceptable, even delicious food. I've never eaten carp but I would try it. I'm guessing the two biggest factors in it's tastiness would be it coming from a clean water source and the person knowing how to cook. I've had plenty of salmon/halibut/etc... ruined at the hands of a person who doesn't know how to cook.

14. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    Much like leaving clams in clean salt water to filter out the sand, I know people who have access to clean spring water that essentially "filter" out the mud from carp in a clean pond/pool.

15. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    That sounds like a lot of work just to eat a carp.

16. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    Don't eat them. It's a fishery that almost no one bothers with. If eating them becomes popular we may lose a good thing. BTW in Poland the traditional Christmas dish is boiled Carp with melted butter. Yum!

Kaiserman likes this.
  17. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    Don't people can and eat shad to get around the issue of lotsa bones? I wonder if you could do that with carp?

18. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

There's always the smoker!

19. Dustin Bootz

Dustin Bootz Team Nate

Pike minnows taste better. Highly reccomend

20. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I don't know if you are kidding or not... However if you think about it, they eat everything a trout does, and after they reach 12" in length, 95% of their food source is other small fish.

That's why they are so stinking bad for our poor little salmon and steelie smolt in river systems.