Duroboat or Smokercraft Lodge

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by wolverine, Jul 16, 2008.

1. wolverine

wolverine Member

Now that I'm officially retired I'm looking for a light weight do most anything boat. In the past I've had glass boats from 17 to 32 feet and a couple of aluminum sleds. With the current cost of gasoline, and no signs of ever seeing cheap gas again, I'm not interested in the least bit in welded aluminum gas guzzling sleds.
    16 feet, 35/40 hp motor, galvanized trailer is what I'm looking at. I like the overall design of the Duroboat, but the Smokercraft Lodge interior layout is very fisherman friendly. a 16 will easily fit in my garage and my Nissan Titan won't even know its towing anything.
    Anyone have any opinions pro or con on either boat?

2. seacub

seacub New Member

Take a hard look at the Duroboat. Last week there was a factory demo boat posted on Craigslist with casting decks front and back.

3. clarkbre

clarkbre Member

For the money I would also look at Lund as well. They make a great product that is very comparible to the Duroboat and Smokercraft. Out of those two, I'd lean more towards Smokercraft...but I'd pick a Lund over all.

4. Jefffly

Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

Tom Wolf guides out of a 16' Smokercraft. If I were looking at another boat I would seriously consider that. Great for the Sound and Neah Bayable. It does have a lot of free board, which means it gets a little blown around on a drift on a windy day.

Note on Aluminum - try to get something used or on a dealer's lot. One of my companies is heavily involved with goods made from metals. We are seeing retail prices jump 25 - 30% of stuff that is predominantly made with metal. Some brands may hold their prices, but they will most likely adjust specs and testing requirement to use light gages.

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Patagonia Marty :), do you know which model Smoker it is that Tom uses?

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Lodge, just because of the floor plan.

8. The Smokercraft is a riveted hull, which is more problematic in salt water as the years progress. If rivets work loose they can be replaced, but welded hulls won't be so prone to leakage. The Duroboat has a different hull structure that has been proven in salt water conditions with tough useage. Another brand to consider is Jetcraft (or Harbercraft) which has a onepiece hull form. In years past they had an open boat model, but I think that all their current models have widshields.

9. martyg

martyg Active Member

I take back my comments - might be a Sylvan - tiller set-up.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

Duroboat fan here. I have an '85 12' that has been beaten to a pulp and still looks and works great. Here's one I've been considering for a while. Maybe not the best floor plan but with a bit of work you could configure it exactly how you'd like.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/713007803.html

11. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

another vote for the duro boat, and also the harbercraft. i have had both. of all my boats, these are the two i miss the most, and will likely purchase next. the duro in nimble and light, the harber, abit more broad/roomy, and thicker. if you want some shelter from the elements, harbercraft will have the better options.

12. martyg

martyg Active Member

My bad - Crestliner. They say that memory is the second thing to go. :thumb:

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

I've always heard hair is the first thing to go, and I can't remember the first . . . :thumb:

Crestliner is a beautiful boat. I know there are Duroboat fans, but Crestliner boats are GREAT boats.

14. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

if you can stand a slightly smaller boat, I have a 14' G3 with a 15 hp four stroke on it.
    livewell, lights, storage etc and boat/trailer package is like air behind my Dakota.
    it's a wide and stable boat for its length, rated for up to 25 hp. I take it on the Sound and big lakes without getting nervous. Welded hull, diamond plate deck, Galvanized trailer.
    I'm fantasizing about putting a mini jet on it...!
    I have a friend who has a 16' smoker Lodge and mine's only slightly less roomy.
    just a thought, if you consider going even smaller.
    also G3 has a 16' boat, a bit sturdier, weighs more.

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

I would love to see pics of your G3, if you have some to share! My email is rdembry@comcast.net . A few years ago, before I bought my Smokercraft Alaskan 14', I was lusting for a G3. I loved their floor plan. I just couldn't get my cheap self to cough up the cash for one, and instead bought the used Alaskan (which is a very nice boat, by the way).

There are a lot of nice choices out there; Crestliner, Lund, Smokercraft, G3, Harbercraft, etc. I don't include Durboat in there because they (to my knowledge, at least) don't offer open floor plans, which is awesome for fishing and in particular fly fishing, in their boats below 16'.