Dutch Harbor Question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rev Trout, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Rev Trout

Rev Trout Rev Trout

I need to make a quick trip to Dutch Harbor the end of next month, a couple of days. Any short outing freshwater trips that would be worth carrying gear up there for? Don't have much time.

Thanks to anyone with input.

2. Nicolas Eckhardt

Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Media:
    The Illiulik River behind the Alyeska plant has salmon, Pinks, Sockeye, in the summer. Not sure if there is anything there at the moment. Check the regs because sections of it are closed. I do not know about other trout in it but there are Dollies in the surrounding creeks. You could try some of the beaches for fish but I suspect it is a bit early for fishing up there at the moment in any waters. PM me if you have more questions.

3. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Hope for bad weather and a layover in King Salmon. I caught Dollies and Coho in Akutan, but I wouldn't say that it was worth bringing gear...

4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I would take a rod and reel, it's not that much trouble. If there are salmon in the river, there will be smolt out migrating and the rainbows and dollies chase em' hard. I've never been to Dutch, but in western AK thats close to the time frame.

5. riverrun

riverrun Member

Excellent beach fishing for schools of dollies off the beach. Right across from the Grand Aleutian hotel is a good place to start. Fry a nd krill patterns along the edges of kelp beds. Long casts with a six weight, intermediate line. Never tried a slider/ popper but I suspect would be money too. Good luck.

RR