Dutch Oven Ham

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by TD, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TD

TD Active Member

I've got a craving for a good sweet bark ham! Anyone have a proven recipe they care to share? Here is what I've come up with but I've no experience cooking ham so I'm not real confident. Any suggestions are welcome:

12" Dutch Oven:
    About a 3lbs pre diamond cut ham
    Cloves stuffed into the cuts
    Cover with Honey
    Then cover with this dry rub:
    2 cups Brown Sugar
    2 Tbsp Salt
    1 Tbsp Crushed Black Pepper
    2 tsp Chili Pepper

I want it to cook slow. so I was thinking 8 coals under and 12 coals on top.

Thoughts?

stilly stalker likes this.
  2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Sounds about right. Score the ham first.

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I've never done a ham, but have cooked many briskets and pork buts, and usually get a nice bark on the pork.

A couple of things that I'm skeptical of.

-It seems like you're doing a hybrid between an bark and a glaze.
    - I've never heard of pouring honey on the meat prior to cooking.
    -it seems like you might have too much sugar in the dry rub recipe.
    -For a glazed ham you can score the meat, but if you're going for a dark crust you might want to just leave it uncut.
    -Fat is an important part of the formation of the crust, so if the ham is lean you might end up adding some butter or something like that.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Patrick, I didn't catch that part. I was thinking it said honey mustard as I skimmed it. But if he's doing it in a dutch oven, it shouldn't get that much of a park (unless he's leaving it uncovered). Should stay fairly moist thanks to the driptop lid. So should be ok. Only reason I say this, is my hams are from my farm, and are very lean. Mine stay pretty moist (thanks to lid mostly I'm assuming) with no added fat. But it sounds about right, since a covered DO will actually turn alot of that sugar into a slight bark but rest will drain into bottom of pan to make a slurry. At least from my hams (and I just did one earlier this week similar to this). Just when I do mine, I keep it pretty simple. Mostly brown sugar and my own pork rub (put the pork rub on first and marinate overnight, then rub the sugar on as it goes into the DO/crockpot). I do a slight score so it does some impregnating. If I'm actually doing them in the smoker, I leave them as is.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  6. Patrick Gould

Thanks Jerry, I was kind of extrapolating based on BBQ experience. It makes sense the the meat will stay moist with the lid on.

Let us know how it turns out TD.

7. TD

TD Active Member

Thanks guys for the help. You're right, it didn't get a bark like I had in mind. It turned out as a good glaze. The brown sugar rub did result in a chewy outer layer that was really flavorful. I cut back quite a bit on the brown sugar based on your suggestions. I cooked it a bit too long. When I sliced it, it was falling apart. I served it up with scallops potatoes and caesar salad. Now I have a weeks worth of excellent ham sandwich meat from the leftovers. I also ended up buying about a 9 lbs ham instead. :)

PB170029.JPG

Daryle Holmstrom and dfl like this.
  8. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Bro.......That makes me so damn hungry

9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Now I have to cook a ham . . .

10. Patrick Gould

That looks great.

11. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Wow, I'm not a big ham fan, but that looks great.

12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Bean soup in the near future?

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  13. TD

TD Active Member

I'm thinking Lentils. They're fuzzy, i know, but I love em.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

My Dad always did what was left and slow cooked it with lima beans. Always pulled the bone out (all the meat had come off into the beans) and would pour the concoction over cornbread.

What I do now with the spiralcut (I'm gonna see if my butcher can do that with my hams next year) is take them the next couple days and fry them up in a pan and reglaze whole thing with just some brown sugar. Then serve on a toasted bagel slathered with cream cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm.

TD likes this.
  15. TD

TD Active Member

That there sounds excellent!!! I just might have to do that for breakfast one day this week. Warm up that cream cheese so it is just soft and gooey. mmm.... can't wait!!! - thanks Jerry!

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Oh, I forgot, sometimes I do toss a fried egg on top of that too. Actually, if you toast the bagel it'll start softening up the creamcheese and then you toss that hot ham on there it'll melt it more. So best to not get it too warmed up. The other stuff will do it for you. :)

17. TD

TD Active Member

Ok Jerry - I cooked up your breakfast sandwich this morning. No picture this time, but here is how it went.
    Sliced the bagel and buttered both halves and fried them in my cast iron skillet until golden brown.
    Spread Philly cream cheese on half and closed the halves together to start the softening process.
    Went out to the Chicken Coop and stole an egg and fried it up in the skillet as well.
    Layed that in the bagel as well.
    Next I fried up slices of the ham and added the leftover brown sugar glaze that I reserved from the dutch oven.
    I let that cook until the glaze started to thicken and then I added the ham to the sandwich and dribbled that sweet brown glaze over it all.
    Next I topped with the bagel half and enjoyed with a cup of freshly brewed french roast.

I gotta tell you. That thickened glaze mixed with the cream cheese was freakin' awesome. I can't wait until tomorrow morning and do it all over again.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  18. Jerry Daschofsky

glad you liked it. Ham doesn't last long in my house. Now that my kids are older its nice seeing them making it this way. Hell they even make an extra one to take to school with them for lunch. But always better when it's a hot gooey mess.

19. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

You guys are driving me crazy! That ham looks and sounds so good! I just finished some cranberries, which are cooling, and pulled two pumpkin pies out of the oven. I think I will be a pig on Thanksgiving! :)

20. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Something I did on the last ham which I think made it moist and flavorful was to use the Cajun Injector and inject a mix of 50:50 maple syrup and apple juice. About 1/2c of each for a 10lb ham but I just kept injecting whatever ran back out of the ham until I thought it was saturated.
    One of the best tasting and definitely the most moist ham I've ever had. I imagine you can sub honey or some brown sugar if you don't have maple syrup.