Dutch Oven Recipes

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Randy Diefert, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    I got a chance to work with one of the masters a couple weeks back, and will be working with him again tomorrow through Sunday. But learned alot from Cee Dub from the Dutch Oven cooking show. His books are pretty good too if you want a source of recipes (and some good stories). Funny seeing Chris Johnson's post. Sounds like verbatim what Cee Dub would say. LOL. If it smells done, it's done, if it smells burnt, it's burnt. And the dump cake Chris mentioned is alot like Cee Dubs (but it's a standard dump cake like most peoples). I was practicing with Camp Chef's new domes. They work pretty well actually. Great for those "no fire" areas. But did a dump cake to experiment more with them. Was having a problem with my domes, and thankfully had my Camp Chef rep show up and help me (and Cee Dub) out using the domes (I got to see Cee Dub learn a new trick, was pretty cool).
  2. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    Used to be a Boy Scout Leader years ago. I found that the blackberry cobbler recipe above works really well but try Fischer Scone Mix instead of the cake mix. Mix and drop balls of it into the berries. It works great! Don't forget to line the Dutch Oven with foil as suggested, though. I nearly ruin one once. Scraped for hours and learned my lesson.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Steve, I learned quite a few things while I was working with Cee Dub. He NEVER lines his pans. He is big on heat control with briquets. He uses a little water and a pan scraper and has his DO's cleaned out in minutes (and we did a TON of dump cakes and cobblers). We used brand new DO's too, including aluminum ones. Pretty amazing (he even had a question about the aluminum liners for the DO's). But was pretty cool to watch him work. Especially some of the dump cakes using heavily sugared pie fillings. Came right out of the DO with very minimal stuck in the pan stuff.
  4. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Stewart, that's Cee Dub. He's the guy I've been working with at the demos. He had a TV show, can be seen on some networks occasionally. I have all his books.
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    OMG. I found the link I had been looking for. Knew I had done some reorganizing, but knew I had another one. I accidentally dropped it into my reorder links for my flytying supplies. I rarely use those links, mostly use the phone and a catalog. LOL. But was transfering bookmarks to my laptop and guess what I found? My missing link. So here's another good site guys for some outdoor cooking recipes.

http://www.outdoorcook.com/
  7. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks Jerry
  8. clausbelly New Member

canada
    Pot roast is great for dutch ovens, too. You can start it on the stovetop and then toss it in the oven for long periods. I just bought myself a Le Creuset French/Dutch oven and christened it with a chili that came out great.
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Clausbelly, should clarify. We're talking about "camp ovens", not a flat bottomed style dutch oven you use in the house. They are universal on the recipes. Anything you can cook indoors you can do outdoors in the camp ovens too.
  10. PacificCreek New Member

Puyallup
    We have two favorites.

BBQ Chicken.
    Line oven with tinfoil. Place appropriate amount of chicken in dutch oven. We use chicken breasts but back in our college days we used cheap cuts like drumsticks or thights. Cover with favorite type of BBQ Sauce. Add a can of coke. Cook with 18 Briquettes until chicken is tender.

Dutch Oven Potatoes
    Slice bacon into inch long peices. Cook in bottom of dutch oven until crispy. Add a sliced onion and cook until onions are almost tender. Add potatoes. We usually add enough to get within 3 inches of the oven lid. Cook for about 45 minutes until potatoes are almost tender. At this point add 1 cup cream of chicken soup, 1 cup Sour cream, 1 cup grated cheese (Mushrooms if you are manly enough) and salt and pepper to taste. This stuff is heavan on a plate!
  11. Shapp Active Member

Back to the state of my birth (OR)
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    1o" ducth oven

Tamale Pie:

Corn tortillas
    green chilies
    1 lb meat of choice
    1 can enchilada sauce
    cheese
    onion
    green pepper
    garlic
    sliced olives
    lots of cheese

saute meat, onion, green pepper, garlic in dutch oven
    once cooked take out, and layer mix with corn tortillas
    top with tortiallas and enchilada sauce, olives and cheese

alternatively you can top it with a cornbread mix batter and cheese (mix some corn/echilada sauce and cooked bacon jibs in the batter to kick it another notch)

Serve with lettuce, avacado and sour cream

Pizza:
    Get a high quality pizza dough mix and prepare per diections.
    Spray inside oven with cooking oil
    Smash dough in there deep dish style.
    I like to use good tomato paste and chopped garlic/basil for the sauce
    Add what ever toppings you like.

Very few coals on the bottom, load up the top full of coals.

Had both of these while floating the lower Owyhee last Week.

Cheers,
  12. Jim Henderson Member

bainbridge island
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Shapp,
    Both the pizza and the tamale pie look delicious.
    The river looks pretty good also. Have you posted any info on your float? I know there are some significant white water runs on the Owyhee. Was wondering if the section you floated would be suitable for a drift boat and how many days you were on the river?
    Thanks,
    Jim H
  13. Shapp Active Member

Back to the state of my birth (OR)
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    We did the Rome to Birch Creek run in 4 nights, 48 miles. June 13-17, 2010. I wouldn’t want to spend any less time on the river or you won’t be able to see/do all the fun stuff like hikes, hotsprings etc. The big rapids are class III generally. Water was 1200 at launch and 800 cfs at take out. I would not take a drift boat below about 1350 cfs due to rock bouncing and significant issues making the moves in Nuicance Rapid, among others, which I think is Class IV- technical below 1,000 cfs. This rapid should not be underestimated at low flow when you have to make the precise right and left tight ferries with bad pin consequences if you f-up. That being said, I have seen several drift boats on this run, one of which was a wood boat that sustained a significant puncture in the bow area floor while running one of the rapids, but you should be a fully capable class III to IV- rower.

Small mouth fishing there when the river is below about 1000 cfs is great, but hitting this flow level is sort of hard as when it drops, it tends to drop fast, you might only get one week notice to get on over there. Now it is too low except for kayaks (under 500 cfs), unless you don’t mind a lot of being stuck.
  14. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    I just came across a couple of good recipes.
    One is a dynamite Apple Cobbler.
    In a 12" deep Line with an oven liner. Pour in 3 cans of Apple pie filling.
    Take one box of Krustez cinnamon swirl coffee cake and mix the batter up. cover top of apples. Take 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar mixture and sprinkle in on the batter. now make your swirls with a knife in the topping. take 5 pats of butter and put that on top of the mixture. bake for 30 minutes at 350. then take the remaining cinnamon mixture and sprinkle it on top. take 5 more pats of butter and stagger them on the top. bake another 30 minutes or until you smell it. goes great with Tillamok vanilla bean ice cream!
  15. Overlander New to the Sport

Stevenson, Washington
    Easy Chicken Dinner on the Gallatin River last week.

Nothing fancy but I wanted to share the photos. I love the Lodge Cook Table with the dutch oven. It works great and sure beats the heck out of cooking with gas.

Kind regards,

Overlander
    Columbia River Gorge
  16. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    No new recipes here. Just thought I'd share a pic of Lonnie (aka Bitterroot) and myself doing some dutch oven cooking for our Project Healing Waters event over the weekend.

[IMG]

Had full slabs of ribeyes in the smoker, and sides in the dutch ovens (and dessert as well).
  17. ksagee New Member

Bremerton, WA
    Try the Northwest Dutch Oven Society Website. There usually is some good ones in there. http://www.nwdos.org/

Saggy
  18. ksagee New Member

Bremerton, WA
    That is AWESOME! Not only the event but you guys are organized.
  19. FlyFishingOn New Member

ON, Canada
    Ah, Dutch Oven cooking! I prefer my dutch oven even in the oven over and above using a roasting pan. Anyone try no knead bread? I'll provide the recipe for that too....

But first, recently did a roast in a dutch oven on the campfire. The roast was wonderful. Sometimes, the simplest of meals are the best and tastiest!

I don't remember which cut of roast we used or exactly how big it was, but basically, a couple of tablespoons of oil in the cast iron dutch oven, and then in went the roast.

It was covered and set on hot coals of the campfire.

Checked the roast after an hour - turned it, and then added potatoes cut into small pieces, carrots cut up and sliced, parsnips cut and sliced and diced onions.

Half an hour later, a yummy delicious dinner!

Ian
  20. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.

Yup, I use them all the time. I just use a no legs dutch oven in the house (which traditionally is a true dutch oven, a camp oven is one with legs). But I have several Wagner and BS&R dutch ovens I use in the house. Then of course I run my camp ovens outside at the house too. It's definitely a treat for company when I'm cooking in them outside.