Duwamish Outlet = Boiling with Fish

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by JayB, Aug 31, 2009.

1. soreshoulder

soreshoulder New Member

That video is awesome. It is great to see that guy being called on his crap. Here is hoping he gets nailed.

2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:

3. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
  4. Mike

Mike Active Member

Media:
    Fished the Duwamish on the incoming and top of the outgoing tide today. Lots of fish. The crowds aren’t bad unless you go right down to the Spokane Street Bridge. Here are some images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. P.Dieter

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for this, some things are starting to make some sense (I've been fishing this run since 05). Now you've got me snooping around and in a '96 NOOA study I found this

"Pink salmon apparently occurred historically in the Green/Duwamish River system in Puget Sound; the Washington Department of Fisheries (WDF) (1916-64) reported these fish as very scarce in the Green River, and absent from Burns, Newaukum, Spaight, and Soos Creeks. The highest annual number of adult pink salmon observed in the Green River over the last several decades is 13."

Is there more information on how this went from 13 to today's numbers in a little more than a decade?

6. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    I'm pretty sure they just ask them nicely... It just goes to show how well I listened and/or bothered to ask questions. It's definitely something different then I thought when I first read this thread. ptyd

7. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:

I'd hypothesize that with the overfishing of kings and silvers there is more spawing grounds available for the pinks to spawn in, though silvers in the Green river seem to be doing fine as it was legal to retain native silvers in parts of the river last year. Maybe there has just been more food available to pinks out in the ocean as they have been pretty much been flying under the radar with exception of us sport fisherman. No hard data to support any of this, just a guess.

Steffan- I vaguely remember hearing something of penned fish in the inner sound, though it was silvers, and was some sort of program from the aquarium iirc.

8. JayB

JayB Active Member

Media:
    I also succumbed to temptation and returned to the Duwamish, this time *with* flies, and joined the mob at the mouth.

Most of us have had the experience of lashing away at the water while harboring doubts about whether or nor there are actually any fish present to observe and/or respond to our meticulously selected flies and thoughful presentations with a strike. We know what it's like to soldier on in defiance of probability, rationalizing away the potential futility with thoughts like "Well, I needed some casting practice," or "Hey - who knows, this might just help alleviate some of those carpal tunnel symptoms I've been having lately." Some even scrape the bottom of the desperation barrel with minor epiphanies like,"Wow - eight hours and that emergency wader repair I made with the wife's nail polish that I found under the seat is still holding. Amazing."

Not quite as many of us know what its like to retrieve a fly through literally thousands of fish with nary a strike. I find a spot to cast and lay the most effective pink fly I've got out there. One cast. Nada. Two casts. Zilch. Three casts...crickets chirping. By the time I get to ten casts, I'm in the throes of a full-on neurosis. "What's going on? Am I at the right depth? Should I vary my retrieve? Change colors? That guy with the bucket on the bank - why is he staring at me? I know my cast isn't exactly the prettiest what's the deal with the trainwreck-stare I'm getting. Why is he pointing in my direction and laughing into his cellphone? That seal over there...just hovering and looking at me...is that a smirk on his face?"

Finally, on something like the eleventh cast I got a courtesy strike from on of the gazillion fish swirling around me, and after a second fish a short time later a wave of "Hey - I *can* get laid in a whorehouse...." style relief washed over me. By the third fish I was starting to feel a tad guilty, and set off to find a spot with fewer folks and where the whole thing would feel a bit less shooting-fish-in-a-barrellish, even though I was still doing incredibly poorly given the gajillion fish in the area.

Why the fish are so stacked up there is still a bit of a mystery to me, as once you cross under the bridge and get into the Duwamish proper you go from the piscatorial equivalent of downtown Mumbai at rush hour to the high plains of outer Mongolia in nothing flat. Ten feet past the bridge - it's all quiet on the Western Front. I didn't see any sort of obstruction under the bridge, but I'm not ruling out magical forcefields.

All in all - quite an experience, catching wild salmon right next to supertankers laden with everything from outbound grain to inbound shipments of bearing 40 tons of "Billy Blanks' Extreme Ab-Lounger" from Shanghai. I'll probably run the gauntlet at least one more time before the party's over.

9. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

Reading this, and watching the snagger video starts to give me a bad feeling in my stomach.

I like catching them off the beaches, but once they are in the river I figure I will leave them alone, let them get up stream, get laid, and make a whole bunch more for me to catch in 2011.

10. sox

sox New Member

Media:
    First off, I love the video! That was awesome. What a jack ass. I saw a guy off Alki while I was there at the beach the other day fishing in the reserve area, as soon as I walked up to him he BOLTED, wouldn't even let me get a word in.

Second, does anyone else feel like fishing in a place like that where it's just stacked up, standing (or floating) alongside a million of other people kind of takes the "sport" out of it? Maybe it's just me, but where is the fun in that? There certainly can't be much of a sense of accomplishment in being able to catch fish there. You could probably give fly rod to a 5 year old who has never even held one before and he could land a few.

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Can't be any worse then flyfishermen in pontoons herding them.:eek:

You had to know I would bring it up again.......and again.........and again.;)

12. JayB

JayB Active Member

Media:
    I think that most people would agree with you on those points, even if they also took a cast or two while passing through.

FWIW once you leave the area near the bridge and get closer to Eliot Bay you can cast to much smaller schools of fish that pass through every few minutes, the overwhelming majority of which (if you're me) are more than happy to pass right by your fly without so much as a second glance.

13. P.Dieter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've been looking at some of these feelings, as I come from an Idaho trout fishing in the 60's and 70's experience. Which has a longer tradition? The fancy pants fly fishing sport who is fishing for the jollies of c&r or the guys lining the banks yanking out meat for the table? Is "sport" a higher pursuit than "harvest"? The modern day answers are complex and variable to specific resources to say the least.

I think it's obvious that we all believe in a "clean kill" sporting tradition where how you harvest is important, but I think it's also unfair for us to characterize all the guys on that bridge as snaggers. If you actually go down there and hang out you will see A LOT of self policing in the group.

One of the things I'm enjoying most about this run is the questions of limits (self imposed) and balance it forces us to examine and personally contend with.

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Sox, I agree, except that I had a great year in unpouplated areas last year and this year I'm not touching many fish and landing even fewer. I guess that 5 y/o in your story would be outfishing me too!

I think that there are always snaggers or those working the fringe of the legal practices. I also believe that Paul is on the money with a level of self policing, even in these crowded locations that seem too packed and chaotic for some of us.

15. sox

sox New Member

Media:
    It's good to hear that there is some policing going among the people in those areas. As far as the sport vs. harvest discussion, I was just wondering why a fly fisherman would want to fish in that environment? (Since this is a fly fishing forum) If you are out simply for harvest, gear fishing in a place that sounds like the way to go. You almost assure yourself the limit. By the way, I didn't, in anyway, try to imply that everyone there is a "snagger". I would assume that most people who fly fish however are looking for something more. Flat out, it's a more difficult way to catch a fish. Hence the sport aspect of fly fishing. Again, maybe it's just me. I would rather not fish than fish there. Maybe that makes me one of those "fancy pants" fly fishermen.

Mumbles, sorry to read about your fishing woes this year. All I can offer up I guess is to keep casting. And keep looking for the remote/ less used beaches. Even if the fishing is slower, you'll probably enjoy yourself more and keep those beaches in mind for the winter months when you're hunting rezzies and SRC. There is some great beaches around where I've caught 10+ pink / coho in a day and fished completely by myself. Most of them are pretty streaky and hit and miss but I'll gladly trade the days of few or no fish for the knowledge of places I can fish by myself. Remember, if nobody is fishing them now when the salmon are coming through you can be sure no one will be there in the winter.

16. P.Dieter

Media:
    Home Page:
    sox, there is nothing personal in my post except maybe to myself for my own contemplation. I do think there's a lot of room between "simply out for harvest" and "fishing for sport". My post is about finding a balance in all this, and balance requires nuance.

Nuance on WFF is probably scarcer than a pre 1996 Green River Pink.

17. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    There was a short report on Channel 4....OMG! And here I thought PNP was bad.

18. slugthug

slugthug Member

:confused: Is PnP = Picnic Point????? You guys are not talking about transistors are you?

19. herl

herl Member

pnp = point no point,

and ldr = long distance release; that one took me awhile.

Eric

20. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Member

Media:
    Drove by the Duwamish on the way to W Seattle on 599. Going 60 and I saw over a half-dozen fish jump 2' out of the water. A lot of gear chuckers on the bank, but I'm sure that there's room for a backcast on river left. Ride your bike on the trail through there and I'm sure you could find some great corners with ample room for a cast. Most gearheads won't go down that far unless their cooler has wheels.