Duwamish Outlet = Boiling with Fish

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by JayB, Aug 31, 2009.

1. I'm going to disagree with a few of the comments about fly-fishing's relationship to "beauty" or "solitude" or "scenery." First of all, there's no reason to assume that a flyfisher is inherently more predisposed to the mythologizing of A River Runs Through It et al. This is insulting to the flyfisher. Flyfishing is a means to catch fish, and while we can study the relevant socioeconomic data and come to some conclusions about education, income, etc, I'm guessing the bottom line has more to do with where the fish are at. For us urban folks in Seattle, the fish are at the Duwamish. Whether stacked up at a natural barrier in a pristine canyon or in a channelized shipping lane, anglers will take advantage of such quirks in a run. To say it's unsporting strikes me as somewhat dishonest. Is it unsporting to fish for huge rainbows and browns stacked up below a tailwater? Lastly, while I deplore the sort of environmental havoc visited upon Seattle's waterway in the last century, it also has its own peculiar beauty, part of which is wrapped up in the democratic nature of the fishery: newly arrived immigrants lining the riprap, Boeing workers on lunchbreak, high-tech zillionaires whiizzing by on yachts. And the scenery: barges, trash compactors, cranes, container ships. It's a crazy 21st century scene. I've fished it for the past week and enjoyed myself immensely. I also enjoyed my float through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison this summer, a trip that is quite simply out of reach for most.

2. But I'd have to say, that fishing the Pinks amongst the shipping channels is far better better than Brown lining for Carp below a sewage treatment plant. Not that Im a snob, but its one of those things that I'll probably pass on. There was an article about fishing for Stripers below the effluent of the nuclear power plant on the eastcoast. The warm water draws in the bait, and thus brings in the Stripers. Its something that I'd like to try, as I've heard those Stripers are something to be had on the fly.

3. Sox -
    Regarding your quote -

"Second, does anyone else feel like fishing in a place like that where it's just stacked up, standing (or floating) alongside a million of other people kind of takes the "sport" out of it? Maybe it's just me, but where is the fun in that? There certainly can't be much of a sense of accomplishment in being able to catch fish there. You could probably give fly rod to a 5 year old who has never even held one before and he could land a few."

Not sure that I agree however if we are going down that path let's do so uniformally and include such fisheries as Point No Point, Dash point, Port Susan, Whidbey Island beaches, Hood Canal or any of the Puget Sound rivers with decent runs of salmon during salmon season, the Grande Rhonde and Methow rivers during the big push of hatchery steelhead, virtually all the trout lake fishing in the State (artifically enhanced with hatchery fish), etc. Each of these fisheries attracted numbers of fishers that may detract from other's enjoyment and many are enhanced with hatchery production.

If the folks fishing in these locations are having a good time, following the rules and generally respecting the resource why isn't that "sport"? I agree that while such situations may not be your or my cup of tea I try hard not to look down my nose at those that are findng enjoyment in their "sport". Heck who knows some of the next generation of fly fishers may well be enjoying such fisheries now.

A balancing view?

Tight lines
    Curt

4. Well stated Curt! One never knows what someone else may be enjoying.

As for me, once I get somewhere, get settled in, got my routine going and enjoying myself I am fishing alone no matter how many people are in the crowd. Sure there are some great places where I truly don't see another human at all. More often though, if fishing for salmon around here you will be in areas where there are a few to dozens of others on the same shore or in boats just off shore. To each his or her for their enjoyment.

5. Sorry if I offended anyone with that post, but you’re right, that is definitely not my cup of tea. And my post is definitely opinionated. And you’re also right about the fisheries you listed. I don’t fish any of them. And I also try to spend as much time as I can fishing for native fish. It doesn’t mean I’m “looking down my nose at anyone. If you’re having fun doing it, then by all means, enjoy. I suppose I try to look for the challenge in fly fishing and I assumed that more people on here would be same way. I was simply commenting that the scene makes me think of a bunch of guys lined up at a fish hatchery tossing flies/ lures/ bait into the holding tanks. Haha. Not necessarily a challenge.

6. Nobody said that a fly fisherman was "predisposed" to any kind of mythology of the sport. Also it would be nearly impossible to deny that for most us there is a very distinct connection between fly fishing, nature, beauty, and especially solitude. And under no circumstance should one feel "insulted" to think so. For most of us fly fishing is not just another way to catch fish. It's an escape from life, from stress, from work, from people.

Perhaps you're taking what I said entirely too seriously. By saying it takes the sport out of it, I meant it takes the challenge out of it. And it does. Fact. But if that is what you enjoy, go for it. I'm glad you've enjoyed the run so far. Also, what does your trip to the Gunnison have to do with anything? Because it's "quite simply out of reach for most" meaning you enjoyed the solitude? What makes the Gunnison so out of reach for most of us regular joes and such a reality for those entitled few who have been? I really hope you weren't talking about the cost to go?

7. Sox- More people fish with more methods and apparently for a wider variety of reasons than you've assumed. I think Fin is merely stating that he enjoys fishing in general, and fishes both to get away from it all, and to harvest some fish too, though at different times and different places. I know I can relate.

8. I fished down there from a boat on the evening of the opener.

The Duwi East Channel is a circus.

I like going to the circus, but not every day.

9. Sox - First of all, nothing personal. I wasn't responding to your post alone, though maybe it seemed that way, but rather to this general notion that seems prevalent that fly-fishers, in particular, have somehow latched on to some hard-won wisdom about the rhythms of man, nature, and the universe. Yes, I fly-fish to experience all the things that you mentioned. Sometimes I absolutely lose myself and my sense of time & reality on the river. Sometimes, as Constructeur mentioned, I'm out there to harvest some fish. And sometimes I'm throwing metal and feeling the same bliss. If you can believe it, while harvesting pinks amidst the hubbub of the Seattle port I *still* managed to drift off in pleasant reverie. That said, there are too many dividing lines that prevent people of all stripes from getting things done. The dividing line btwn fly anglers and other anglers is yet another false compartmentalization. As is the line btwn "sportsmen" and "environmentalists." I'd like to hear more talk about what unites all of us, not just what supposedly bonds fly-fishermen.

Respectfully,
    Fin

10. Experienced all of the above today when I headed down to the Duwamish to harvest some fish, found some solitude casting to pods that were passing through, and...actually found getting the depth, retrieved, color, etc necessary to induce a strike kind of a challenge, and had to watch hundreds of fish either flat out ignore or follow and decline to strike my fly before things turned around and I got my four fish in the space of about half an hour. The said fish are now resting peacefully in brine, and will be in the borrowed smoker tomorrow.

The more I head out there, the more the setting is growing on me. Saw sea-lions feeding next to container ships, a dad taking his six-year old son out fishing in their little non-motorized boat in the channel, heard a tug-boat captain congratulate the kid on his catch over the loud-speaker as we was putting the finishing touches on moving a barge...great stuff.

Bring on the coho!