Duwamish River Salmon run

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by sanderson, Sep 10, 2008.

1. sanderson

sanderson Sanderson

New to fishing with the fly this year and I’m enjoying every bit of it. I live close to the Duwamish River and have fished it over the years casting spoons and dropping eggs. I'd love to go out and cast a fly for the run when it starts to pick and I'm looking for some advice if any one can help.

Thanks

2. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    it does not open until Sept 16th to the I-5 bridge....there are some access points and parks underneath the West Seattle Bridge and a bit south..... The nets will be in, in a matter of days targeting the Silvers, the schedule is supposed to be Tues thru Fri, so escapement will not be of any consequence until Sunday and Monday most weeks.... If you want to maximize your time, you should find a deep pool and strip streamers in chartruese or pink in that first 45 minutes of daylight... the fish are more apt to strike in this first part of the day, and can get lock jaw afterwards until last light....

Earl

3. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    You may want to take another look at your regs Earl, this year they opened section two first, then they'll open section one the same night that the Natives are allowed to start netting.

4. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    When those hatchery mutts get up into tidewater and beyond into fresh, they are infamous as being a smallish lockjaw strain of Doo Doo. I find it best to "grain up" and strip and rip deep at those rats with the usual suspects if it's anytime after first light. You'll see the gear guys who kick butt are bottom bouncing eggs right off the bottom. If you hit them at first light, you can have a player or two, but the Duwamish/Green silvers are hatchery horse shit at it's best. Mutants, smallish and non aggressive most of the time. (Now you know that means since I'm talking all this shit about them, you'll go out and drill 14 of them skating wogs next week!):D
    Tight lines Coach Duff

5. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    I stand corrected, usually in years past, they opend the river from the headwaters inland, this year the section I prefer is actually open first, go figure....I have raised some 10 to 13 lb fish out of the Green river, I prefer the Snohomish from Douglas Bar area down river, especially the West channel, for Silvers...but access is really a sled or drift boat affair. Nice to have a sled in the garage =)...

Tight lines

Earl

6. Coach Duff

Media:
    Some 10-13 pound fish Earl. SOME. The average silver in that watershed is 3-4 pounds. I was speaking on average. Just like there are SOME 35-40 pound Kings, but most are 12-15 pounds. Duff

7. constructeur

Media:
    Damn coach, I'm almost convinced my wife told you to post all that in order to get me to stay home and do housework :cool:

imo on the green the average king is more like 7-12 lbs with the only fish consistently hitting are jacks, which strike like little girls....

8. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    I have thought about fishing the Duamish, but it's hard to get myself down to fish a Superfund site and what has to be the most man made estuary in the state.

9. Coach Duff

Media:
    I'll go with 7-12 on the Kings in that ditch. The Silvers need to be thrown in tanks with Sea Monkeys and sold in the back of comic books.:D Duffer

10. constructeur

Media:
    diehard- I'm not saying your argument has no merit, but the migratory fish spend but a mere moment passing in either direction through the superfund site, which isn't the area we're talking about fishing anyhow. I'm sure you'd be happy to land a fish that has traveled through the green from, say on a beach around LP though, so long as you were non the wiser of it's origins, right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be eating bottom fish/crustaceans from Elliot bay either, but a fish that has spent a few days is a sketchy area compared to what the FDA allows in our other food sources, how it's packaged, etc.- it's all good imo.

11. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    You guys want to complain about a ditch, mud hole, superfund site ect, I think you all have stomped the Sammish huh?

It's my backyard, and from a boat, those fish have seen the river for about 2.5 river miles. Maybe the fish up at HWY 18 are boot leather or dinks, but the way I see it, the water is a bit less crowded anyway...

12. sanderson

sanderson Sanderson

Well it sounds like some have a problem with the fish that come out of this river, but it works for me on those days when I get off work or get an early rise in the morning and only have to drive a few miles to get in a hour or two of fishing before I have to take care of other things around the house and the family.

Thanks for the advice.

13. Coach Duff

Media:
    Nobody has a problem with any one of our brothers enjoying some fishing. The problem we have in knowing just how bad we've fucked everything up and how bittersweet it is to fish for 4 pound cement tank raised mutant silvers in a man made estuary that once was the Black River if I remember right. I remeber from history class the Black and Green actually connected or were close to each other. By all means catch the hell out of those mutts and smoke, barbecue and bake the hell out them. I would if I still lived there. Convenience is convenience. Duffer

14. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    I don't have a problem with the fish in the river, and obviously they won't become radioactive just by passing through. As Coach said, it's just less enjoyable to fish down there seeing what it has become.

15. WT

WT Active Member

Aint nothing wrong with it, dude. If these guys can't appreciate a little bit of wilderness in even the most urban of settings it's their problem.
    Have good fishing,
    WT