Dyes Inlet Coho and SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Jan 23, 2011.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I decided to go warm up the casting arm on the last few hours or less of the ebb today. I stopped at a favorite little stretch of beach I like to fish on occasion. As usual, I put on my Popsicle Stick but with an epoxy head this time. Fishing was a little slow, but I managed a small cutt of 10-11". Then I missed a couple of hits. Moved down the beach a bit. Picked up the speed on my retrieve and nailed a nice little coho to my surprise. Shortly after that another was on and came unbuttoned. So, I proceeded to work the beach, speed up my retrieve, and keep plugging away. I came to a nice point of land located there and landed a 12" cutt ,missed a number of hits with the fast retrieve. Lost another coho. Landed another cutt of 13-14". I kept getting good follows and missed a number of fish. About 30 minutes before the tide died, I had a tremendous slam with the fish breaking the surface on my fly. He not only smashed it, but popped my 4x. I got a glimpse of the body thru the foam he/she left on the surface. It was a "good" fish for sure. I'm not sure if it was a cutt or a coho, but whatever, he's got a sore lip. I don't remember the last time I broke a fish on the "take" in the salt. It was a nice day. I normally don't strip fast for cutts, but they seemed to like it today also.

2. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    great Larry do it again

3. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Larry, nice post, sounds like you had a pretty decent day on the beach. I like that fly you're using.
    I'm putting together a small fly arsenal for next fall. Some beach and boat fishing on the west coast of Vancouver Island and then some beach fishing off of San Juans.
    I looked for the Popsicle stick in the patterns but did not locate it, and would like to add it to the mix. If you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe and sizes you use, I'd really appreciate it. It just has that look!
    Were you fishing it on a floater, intermediate?
    Thanks pg

4. Annie Rutherford

Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Media:
    Wow sound exciting, good report. Sounds like you had a great time. Now I am kicking my self for not going out.:( I like your fly in the picture, would you tell the kids at home the size of the hook used and what type of fur/hair that is tied on. Thanks Larry.:)

5. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Cool report Larry, nice fish and good looking fly.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Well done Larry.

7. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Way to go Larry, Popsicle stick strikes again. Wish I could have met up with you yesterday, but we've got good tides all week. Great report.

8. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

I'd like to tie the Popsicle as well. Any links out there for a good recipe?

Thanks for the report. It got me fired up to get out today.

Also, any chance that fish that broke you off was a blackmouth? I've heard they start moving in around now.

9. dryflylarry

Media:
    Ok. This is my simple pattern of what I call the "Popsicle Stick". But I'm a simple fly fisherman! It's so simple you will not be impressed, but, I can honestly say I have caught many SRC and coho on this. You can add an epoxy head to it as well. I think the Angel Hair and the soft Arctic Fox tail bring make it attractive to the fish. I generally use it in size 6, but go to 4 when chasing larger salmon later in the summer. Note that everything is tied off the top of the fly with the hot pink thread exposed below. My original thought when I made it was that the polymarabou would get "caught up" in a coho's or cutts teeth!

Tail: Dirty white Artic Fox tail
    Overtail: Electric Pink Angel Hair or fluorescent pink
    Lower Wing: Hot pink poly marabou
    Middle Wing: Med pink squirrel or calf tail
    Upper Wing: Chartruese Squirrel or calf tail
    Body: Hot pink thread, floss, or dubbing

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Thats a good looking fly....
    I'd eat that.

Dave

11. James Harrington

Thanks Larry. I'm out the door to hit the beach but I plan on tying a few tonight. I'll post back here if I get into any fish today.

12. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Thanks Larry, When we ask for a recipe... you couldn't have shown it any better.
    One other question. Are those just stick-on eyes in an orange or yellow background, lightly epoxied? They look orange to me.
    That fly sure looks good in that fishes mouth!

13. dryflylarry

Media:
    Yes. Those were orange eyes, but normally, I use the pearlescent ones. But, mostly, I don't put any eyes on. I like them tho, and am wondering if it would produce more with the epoxy eyes. They kinda look sexier with the eyes.

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Larry, you've changed your fly a bit; addedeyes and an epoxy head. Looks good.

15. Annie Rutherford

Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Media:
    Thanks for the recipe Larry. I like the eyes too. Very Sexy!:rofl:

16. James Harrington

Thanks again for the recipe Larry.

I got out today and hit some of the more commonly known spots.

Here's the rundown:

Olalla (11:00 am)- beginning of outgoing tide. Strong current, lesser out past the point. One SRC hooked on my way back to the car in the fast moving water near the mouth of the estuary.

Purdy (1:30 pm)- REALLY fast outbound current. No fish hooked or sighted.

Kopachuck(2:30 pm)- much slower current. One follow, but no other fish hooked or sighted.

The Narrows (3:30-dusk)- Almost low tide. Moderate current. Saw several fish jumping/rising/splashing. Two hooked, one landed. Small rezzie about 11-12". Saw a guy with a pink buzz bomb get a larger one which he released.

Gig Harbor Fly Shop (5:25 pm) -Almost closing time which gave me the opportunity to rap with the G-man for a minute. He said go for flesh/shrimp pink patterns. I also bought my ticket for the Fly Fishing Film Festival presentation they have planned for the 24th. Finally, I'm thinking about signing up for his nighttime blackmouth fly tying class. I used to night fish all the time in Texas with great success; I think I'm ready to try it up here. Visit the Gig Harbor Fly Shop website for more info.

Have the day off tomorrow, so I'm headed out again. I'll report back with my findings.

17. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Larry nice photo
    did it get that bruse from when you kicked it up on the beach to snap your photo?

Nice demo photos too

See ya at the swap

18. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    Nice looking fly Larry, I've tied and used a clouser pattern that uses similar colors with alot of success I think its called a clown.
    tony

19. dryflylarry

Media:
    Here's the tie with the epoxy eyes. The hotpink thread seems to shine thru in orange.

Powdergut, I use a dry line most of the time. Probably because of being too lazy to change.

MysteriousWater, thanks for the reports.

Kelvin, see you at the Midge Swap. We'll have to kick some fish on the beach sometime soon!

Mark, see you on the beach today!

20. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Larry,
    Nice report and good to see you are out hitting the beach.