Dyes Inlet Coho and SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Jan 23, 2011.

1. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

That will definitely be one of my unweighted patterns. I'm thinking it may deserve a version in yellow and orange too. An Orange Creamsicle.
    That is a winner fly!

2. CameronT120

CameronT120 New Member

Thanks for sharing your fly recipe with us, Larry. I created a printable version of it for my fly binder and can post it here, if it's okay with you.

3. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

You're a lot more sporting than I am, using 4x in the salt.

Since on the rare occasion, I get smacked by a blackmouth or grown coho when targeting the cutts, I've gone to using 2x Rio Fluoroflex plus. None of those fish are leader shy, and the Fluoro Plus is 50% stronger than their standard fluorocarbon. I like the Plus as it's is nice and flexible, and an honest 12 pound test. I've even caught chum on it, but it makes me nervous around those teeth..

View attachment 38430

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I haven't normally run into big blackmouth or coho this time of year. I used to use 5x all the time if you can believe that. I landed a 6-7 lb. coho on that a few years ago on the 5x. Pretty crazy, and took me by surprise. Thanks for the tip on the fluorocarbon. I probably should go ahead and step up to higher test. Otherwise, one of these days I will cry loudly....

5. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Larry, now I know why you
    out-fish me.....its the 20 lb
    maxima I use as tippet.
    What the hell does that
    x thing mean??????

dAve

6. dryflylarry

Media:
    Apparently you haven't watched enough "x" rated movies to know what it means Dave!

7. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Nice fly and a nice report. We are going to have to gift you a pack of narrow gauge Gamakatsu hooks to replace those stainless steel monstrosities though :clown:

8. dryflylarry

Media:
    Tell me what those are Dimebrite. I may be an old fly guy, but one gets stuck in his ways.... What Gamakatsu #?? Thanks.

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Using 4x? Saltwater tippet is measured in pounds, not diameter! No wonder the fish popped off . . .

Nice story; thanks for sharing.

10. dryflylarry

Media:
    That's funny, it says "4x" on my tippet spool...... (that's the same as 6.4 lb test) I know guys use stronger tippet material than me, but I'm fishing for local cutthroats. When the coho are around I step up a bit. I think cutthroat are smarter than people think, particularly in "clear" water in the salt.

11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Honestly, I don't think you'll hook up any less using heavier fluorocarbon leader. It is nearly invisible in the water. Granted, I usually fish from a boat, and in strong current, so have switched permanently to Rio's F+ in 2x. I have to bend a rod pretty good to get a healthy sized cutt to the net while anchored in a 2 knot current, and I hate to leave anything stuck in the face when I break one off.

I'm generally using a tube fly, so all they are left wearing is a tinned, light wire hook. With the 12 # leader though, I can catch and release a dozen or more fish and never give a second thought to using the same fly and knot all day. I can't remember breaking one off in the last couple of years. They come unhooked, but almost never break the tippet.

12. DimeBrite

Media:
    Larry, I like the Gamakatsu SS15 standard for my salmon & cutthroat attractor patterns this time of year, and the SC15 wide gap in smaller sizes for baitfish patterns. They are easier to debarb and razor sharp, but are easier to break on the backcast. In summer and fall I switch over to heavier gauge stainless steel hooks to take on the big salmon.

Thanks again for sharing your pattern, I'll give it a try this year.

13. dryflylarry

Media:
    Thanks Dimebrite. I have used the SS15 quite a bit, but, I have been using Mustad Signature Series C70SD and are quite comparable to Daiichi 2546 saltwater hooks. I think I like them better than the SS15's. I have had the SS15 break on me a few times on a sloppy backcast on a rocky beach where other hooks would not. I actually like the Mustad's for the price too. They are chemically sharpended needle points. I need to pick up some more and I think I found them at Cabela's the last I bought some. I want to say they were $7.99 for 50. You might take a look at them. I actually found a couple of flaws in the SS15 and sent them to the company with a nice letter. They DID NOT give me the time of day..... in other words, no reply to my concern. Oh well. Tight Lines. See you on the beach somewhere!

14. DimeBrite

Media:
    I'll definitely check out the Mustad C70SD for future tying (maybe I already have some)? Sounds like I need to head over to the Canal and check out some of your fishing spots too.

15. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Does it really matter whether it's saltwater tippet or not?

I pretty much exclusively use cheap 8lb seaguar flouro for cutthroat fishing. I don't think the fish are too spooky for this and it is freaking strong stuff.

16. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I like the C70SD, as well, but I don't think it's quite as sharp as the Gamakatsu hooks.

17. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

All I Use is Rio Fluoroflex Plus in the 2x, which is 12 lb test, compared to 8 pound for standard fluoro. I prefer the SC 15 hook over the SS due to the shorter shank. I believe it makes it harder to toss the hook and get off.

This is my choice for everything but chum because the teeth cut through thin leaders.

I was using a size 4 SC 15, 2x Rio, and a small pink clouser Friday on a 6 wt rod, trying to find some resident coho, but all I got was two cutthroat and this 32" Blackmouth, I'm guessing the weight was 12-15 pounds. The 2x tippet and size four hook is not what I would target Chinook with, but it held for about 1/2 hour, which is all it took.

View attachment 39005

18. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Nice blackmouth Don!

Leland.

19. dryflylarry

Media:
    Sweet Don!

20. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Don:

Awesome blackmouth!

Good to hear that a small diameter Gamakatsu SC-15 #4 hook was put to the "test" and did not break or straighten:thumb:. The SC-15 #4 and 6 are my "go to" hooks for saltwater tube patterns.

Roger