Dyna King Vises

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Muskypicker, Sep 1, 2013.

1. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    oh by the way the thread just above mine with the saying " I fish because_______-____-____" , I have a shirt with that on it, cool saying. mike w
    speyfisher likes this.
  2. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +135 / 3
    The jaws have groves of different sizes to align & lock onto different size hooks. The collet type jaws are also adjustable via the knurled ring at the front. Adjust until a firm hold on the hook is obtained when the (cam) lever detent engages. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!! If you still have trouble, call DynaKing and have them talk you through it.
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,558 / 0
    L2F2, if you are having a problem with a Dyna-King not holding a hook, something is wrong!!! Clamping the hook as solid as solid can be is what Dyna-King is known for. I highly recommend you call Dyna-King and see if they want the vise returned to them for inspection. If there is something wrong, they'll fix it for free (other than shipping).

The reason I like my Dyna-King is because a hook never, ever slips in the jaws. Something is haywire if you're having that problem with a Dyna-King.
  4. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    L2F2,

I've never had a hook slip in my Dyna King Barracuda. The hook pockets (the grooves speyfisher mentioned) are there to hold larger size hooks. There are two sets of these hook pockets in the standard jaws that come with the vise. The hook pockets closest to the jaw tips are for hook of around #2-#8. The hook pockets further back on the jaws are for hook sizes from #1 to about #7/0. To adjust the jaws for hooks in the hook pockets, place the hook in the hook pocket with the cam lever up in the open position, then screw down the jaw collet by twisting it back toward the cam lever until it starts to drag. This will then have the jaws very close if not properly adjusted to the hook when closed. Then simply fine tune the adjustment until the hook doesn't move. Don't overtighten the jaws because they are strong enough to fracture the hook and break it.

I know this adjustment is different from the draw-collet style vises like the HMH, Thompson Model A and 360, Peak etc. that tighten the jaws by pulling the jaws into the collet. I.e., you need to move the collet forward away from the cam level to tighten them. This is because the cam lever pulls the jaws into the collet, so the tighten them you have to move the collet forward. The name draw-collet style vise is a perfect description of how they work, you literally draw (or pull) the jaws into the vise collet to tighten then and hold hooks.

The Dyna King vises are a push-collet type of jaw that pushes the jaws against the front of the vise collet. Therefore, you have to move the collet forward to tighten the jaws because doing so moves the collet closer to the jaws; hence, they are forced to close (or tighten) the jaws to a greater degree when the jaws are pushed forward by the cam lever.

I strongly suspect that is why you are having problems with your Dyna King because you were used to tying on a draw-collet vise, and your Dyna King's jaw adjustments are exactly opposite what you were doing before with the draw-collet vise.
  5. Bugsy Member

California
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    DK vises are wonderful tools, but they aren't necessarily faultless. There is a chance that the user is not actually at fault, and that there is an issue with the jaws or the adjustment mechanism. Revisit the user manual to eliminate operator error. If it's a no go, remove the forcing cone and check the condition of the threads, o-ring, or anything else that may be obstructing smooth operation. If still unsuccessful, contact DK. They want you happy.

FWIW, I don't see how the transition from a draw-collet style to a DK should be an issue. From the user's perspective, both operate similarly with the tyer moving the "adjuster" clockwise to tighten and counter-clockwise to relax jaw tension. It's just that on a draw-collet, the adjuster is a ring that's located at the rear of the collet, while it's located at the nose of the collet on a DK and called a forcing cone.
  6. Russ Kendall Member

Yakima Valley
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I currently tie with the Dyna-King professional, which is a non-rotary vise. It is well made and extremely durable. I second the opinions on the Barracuda and Barracuda Jr. The indexer is an interesting vise, but I agree with the great advice, buy the uBarracuda/Jr and use the money saved on tools and materials. Best of luck, and don't give up on tying. When you get frustrated, take a break. Keep at it and you will continue to improve.
  7. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    i recently purchased a Regal. and so far i am not thrilled with it.
    it sits low on my desk and it seems that the back of the fly is blocked by the head of the vise.
    maybe its just me. i kind of wish i had picked up a Dynaking or maybe a Norvise ?
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4

If room at the back is important then I'd suggest trying the Nor before buying. I loved the vise but eventually found the lack of room for my fat hands when tying in tails and such, especially on the scud hooks I use a lot, was a real pain.
  9. robl Member

Richland WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I've tied on a Barracuda for five years now and absolutely love it for everything . . . big, small, huge, monstrous . . . . anything.

Doesn't feel right now not tying on it.

I own a kingfisher as well as a travel vise and love it as well. Get a barracuda if you have the dough for your tying bench. You won't be sorry. They hold their value quite well.