E-Z Loader for a raft?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Luke77, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Has anybody ever used an ez loader trailer to tow a raft? Any plus sides, down sides, pitfalls that I should avoid? I'm looking for a trailer on the cheap for a raft and found an ez loader in decent shape that has the bunks not rollers and figured with a little bit of creativity, I could convert it into a decent raft hauler.
    Would appreciate any thoughts and if you have done this, any pics? Thanks!

Oh, it would be for a 13' raft.

2. PT

PT Physhicist

I had to remove the fenders and adjust the bunk to spread them out and lower them to get the platform a couple inches above the wheels. The bunks are built to be adjustable for different boats. Added a piece of 5'x8 or 10' plywood that I had lacquered with a few coats, carpeted, added some slicks to the back of plywood for ease of loading......

IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0425.JPG

Luke77 likes this.
  3. Luke77

Media:
    Awesome PT, thanks!

So do you think it's an easy modification/worth the effort? How about ratcheting it up without a roller at the rear...any major issues? My options are a small sled deck trailer w/ no front winch or an ez loader modified. I'm leaning towards the ez loader.

4. PT

PT Physhicist

I was able to find some slick rounded bunks that I screwed to the top back of the platform which would act like a roller. To winch the boat onto the platform without the bow getting stuck you have to place a rope or strap from one side of the raft to the other UNDER the boat. Hook your winch strap to the rope underneath the boat and the bow will ride up and over the platform edge and on the strap. 2nd D ring back on each side is where you will put the strap or rope. Tough to explain, I could post a picture in the next couple days.

I thought it was a pretty easy project but did take a few hours. The trailer could have been reconfigured a few different ways to accommodate the raft but that's what I came up with.

5. Luke77

Media:
    Yea, I think I saw a writeup that Joe W. did on rigging up the winch rope between the floor and tube. Did you bolt down the plywood using U brackets or just screw straight to the frame?

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Bolted plywood to the bunks. Front of the plywood has a small brace under it to the frame. Most of the weight is directly over the bunks but I wanted some support toward the front. It doesn't support the entire width of the forward plywood, just the center.