Eagle Lakes Ranch

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Big Tuna, May 11, 2007.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    A buddy of mine was given a guided trip to fish for bass at Eagle Lakes Ranch and was kind enough to invite me along. Eagle Lakes Ranch is near Othello and I think is probably more noted for it's waterfowl and upland bird hunting. We started our day at 6:00 am and finished at around 3:30. Our target was smallmouth, and we caught lots of them. In fact, the guide keeps a clicker and at the end of the day asks you to guess how many fish you've caught. We ended up catching 75, and lost or missed numerous others. It was without a doubt one of the best days of fishing that I have ever had. We fished top-water as well as subsurface. I started out in the morning fishing on top and picked up a couple of nice fish, but it turned a little slow, so we went back to subsurface. We would pick up fish in surges where the action would be hot, and then it would go into a lull for a bit. About 1:30 in the afternoon, the guide suggested I go back to the popper. Because of the high sun, I wasn't real confident, but dutifully took his advice. It turned out to be great advice. I was into fish immediately. It's a rush when you see a good fish charge out of nowhere and then slam on the brakes right at the fly, just waiting for a twitch. Sometimes the popper would disappear in a violent flush and sometimes it was silently sucked down. My buddy and I mistimed our strips or strikes w/ some regularity, but still managed to catch a lot of them. Best occasion of the day was when we had a double on poppers, mine was about 18 1/2 inches and my buddy's was 19 inches. We had 3 other doubles during the day, but none so spectacular. We caught fish in all age classes, including a number in the 8-10 inch range. But we caught lots in the 13-19 inch range, and those fish will give you a pull. We ended up landing at least 4 over 18 inches, all but one on a popper. I've never fished with a guide or on private water. This was a real treat, and a day I won't soon forget. The guide took the pictures, so I'll post a few if I get them.

2. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Media:
    There's nothin' quite like fishin' poppers for bass...