Earliest Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bob Young, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Last run Pinks seemed to show the earliest around Tacoma. Anybody have records or input?
  2. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    Seems odd, you would think it would be a progression from the north sound first.
  3. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +538 / 0
    Bob -
    Yes for some reason it seems that the south Sound pinks are on the whole earlier than those in central/north Sound.

That being said the earliest Puget Sound pinks are found in the Nooksack. They enter the river through July and early August; the Nooksack opens for pinks the middle of July.

There also are typically some early pinks entering the Skagit in late July with the lower river opening August first.

Curt
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    different pink runs have different arrival dates. The Tacoma area seems to be first with Hoodsport next.
  5. ptphisher Member

Bremerton, Washington
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    how long do Pinks tend to hold in the salt before entering the rivers?
  6. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +76 / 1
    Earliest ones I recall seeing last time were up around Pt Townsend
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +289 / 1
    They usually hit the south sound around Tacoma somewhere around Aug 1st or so. I usually look for early runs about a week earlier but don't see too many that early.
  8. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +355 / 0
    What do you think the possibility is of a small group of resident Pinks?
  9. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    Seems to me that the southbound fish do come in earlier and the Port Townsend/Marrow stone beaches have better early catch reports as compared to Whidbey beaches.

The Whidbey beaches get a consolation however. Resident silvers come our way in late July and hang out for a while, seems like just once a year they do this feed run up north. ?

Jeff
  10. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    The Nooksack pinks seem to be on a bit of a come back, after many years of small returns.
  11. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    I just checked the commision's test fishing page, they actualy tested in area 20 ( North of Neah Bay, Vancouver Is, side), 6 pinks in 1 drift, on the 24th.
  12. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
  13. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +289 / 1
    Maybe one thing we have to consider is that each river has a unique run. The Tacoma run is to the Puyallup River so perhaps the salmon get into the river and to their spawning grounds a bit earlier than other river systems. They would spawn earlier and then in turn maybe return earlier. There is also a sizeable run to the Nisqually River projected this year and we have yet to see how quickly they will return since there has not been any sizeable run there until two years ago. I'm no biologist but that might be a reason why the fish show in the South Sound area earlier than the Northern rivers. It's kind of fun trying to guess what's going on and it shows the interest that has been growing over the years for this fishery. It gets more highly anticipated each two year cycle. People are already jumping out of their skin and we are at least a month away. It is a great fly fishing opportunity, however, so it's easy to see why we all get jacked up about it. Whether you retain and eat or catch and release, it's hard to beat this run on a fly rod every two years.
  14. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +568 / 0
    i've been out to neah bay multiple times over the past couple weeks, and no numbers of pinks out there yet (coho are another story). they'll be there soon enough, but it is still early.
  15. streamer7 New Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Around Tacoma I've noticed numbers accumulating around the 3rd week of July, and it stays strong through the first week of September.

As previously mentioned, the nisqually is projected to have a size able run, and being that it is the furthest south puget sound river, don't be surprised if the pinks are around in a couple of weeks.

Matt
  16. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +531 / 0
    The earliest that I have caught Pink Salmon from our Marine Area 9 beaches was the first week of July. And the catch rate improves every single week of the run, well through August. I have caught Pinks out here as late as September. Interestingly, most of the salmon that I or my guests have caught are caught on "trout flies", one of the most productive being a cheap hardware store Muddler Minnow, in size #6. Catching, and releasing, Pink or Coho Salmon is a very fun aspect to a sea run Coastal Cutthroat trout fly fishing outing. On a 6 weight, using 3X, you are covered. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

camera 1 first try 541.JPG
  17. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    -It'll be interesting to observe the dynamics of the Nisqually pink run. When I've fished in the south Sound, it's mostly been with everyone else at Dash point, but it may be worth venturing a bit south to intercept the fish heading to the Nisqually.
  18. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Up north I believe they are opening the Snohomish - below Hwy 9 Aug. 1. That's 15 days earlier than past years. Don't know if there will be fish there but at least you can go out
  19. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +568 / 0
    2011 Creel Surveys

You can check the creel surveys to see when fish started showing up two years ago.
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    Saw a few jumpers off Edmonds today. Looked like 2 different pods of pinks cruising thru.
    Jamie Wilson likes this.