Early August Oregon Steelhead...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jonrue, Apr 22, 2006.

1. jonrue

jonrue a life in the day of...

Media:
    I'm going fishing for a couple of days just before I get hitched in early August in Eugene, OR.

I'm looking at either the Deschutes or the North Umpqua for steelhead, but I've only fished them a few times. Does anyone have suggestions? I don't want to spend half my time driving, so anything within a few hours drive. I'd appreciate any help; think of it as an early wedding present.

Cheers,

Jon

2. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    The North Umpqua in August is a dawn and dusk show for steelhead. I'm not an expert on this stream by any means but that's my experience. The main stem is a GREAT small mouth stream and hours closer then the Deschutes so might want to consider a different plan. The Deschutes in early Augest? Watch the counts over the Dalles Dam to see if its worth the drive. My guess is it will not be.

3. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Early August Should be great for Summer Runs up the N. Umpqua East of Roseburg. I had a guide we went to the fly fishing only area on the N. Umpqua. Great fly fishing is just starting in August on the Upper N. Umpqua. Be sure to wear cleats because the lava rock is slick. Check in at the local fly shops in Roseburg. That's pretty close to Eugene area.

K.

4. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    If the Willamette River steelhead counts pickup soon, there may be some descent fishing in the McKenzie/Willamette River. There is a downtown fishery there since ODFW planted smolts downtown. There is always some nice trout in that area as well. The Nestucca on the Coast also has summer runs and SRC. The Metolius is closer than the D if you want trout. Besides August will be slow on the D for steelhead, usless you fish around the times the nets are not in the Columbia. And like the NU, it will be a early morning, late evening affair.

5. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    I am not sure about you guys, but obviously August hasn't been good to you guys. I find August to be my prime month besides September. The Deschutes usually remains cool enough and as far as the netting goes I had my best day ever when the nets were out in the Columbia and no one else seemed to be doing very well it is just a matter of finding them. Steelhead will be in the river from late June through the season and the D is my favorite summer fishery.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Agreement here on all levels, save for the person you want to call is Joe Howell at the Blue Heron fly shop in Idylewild. Joe's been at his same location (right at the junction of the all gear/fly only water for well over 20 years. Better yet, stop in and drop a few bucks and he'll even give you the 'Sir names' of the fish that have moved into the upper river. :ray1:

Only warning would be is the Blue Heron is one of the best fly shops I've ever been in; "wife type" tells me I can't get in/out under $200.00. And she's probably right.:beer1:

7. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll second the suggestion by Fred to visit Joe Howell at the Blue Heron. Joe knows that river better than most.

As a side note, there have been some regulation changes over the past 4-5 years, and as I recall, the fly cannot be heavily weighted and sink tips are not allowed. Be sure to get a copy of the current regs before you head out. Be prepared to work for those fish, but the effort is worth the reward.

8. jonrue

jonrue a life in the day of...

Media:
    I appreciate all the input! For those of you who have fished the Deschutes (or N.U.) in Early August, was any of your luck on skated dries?

9. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

Media:

Yes on the deschutes dry line question. I fish the deschutes 30+ days a year and in August last year I caught more fish on a dry line than a sink tip. I wouldn't say I do any "skating" but I get a small v here and there. In August you'll need to be on the lower river below Macks. Recommend a float trip for your bachelor Party.

The Mackenzie below leburg is one of the better places in Oregon to target Summer fish. I have caught lots of steelhead on a flyrod on the hatchery side of the river. The river is clear and sight fishing is available.