Early run chums in esturary

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Was out fishing yesterday for adult silvers and SRC and decided to check a local esturary that has a early chum run(late Sept/ early Oct). The bay was full of bright jumping chums. If you have local esturaries with early chum runs, you might want to check them out ASAP.

I did not have my chum fishing gear along so I was out of luck for them. So I targeted SRC and got a few. But l'll be back tomorrow with the right gear!

Had one of those days that fish kept getting unhooked. LDR 4 large SRC and lost 2 adult silvers at the boat. The saving grace is that it all evens out over the long haul!

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

You da Man, r. stephens!

Thanks for the heads up. There might be some early ones showing up here on the coastal streams in the next week or two. I may head up one of my favorite SRC streams that gets a small run of coho and a small run of chums tomorrow and see what I can find near the head of tidewater. I expect them to be arriving in greater numbers before the end of the month. They aren't there for very long, and unless one stays on top of things, it is easy to miss them!

Jimbo

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Manana

Didn't go today, but probably will go tomorrow. My 8wt got snapped in a head-butting contest with a logjam on Sunday, and I haven't replaced it yet, so I'll be targeting SRC with my 6wt. But If I see any coho or chum, I might be tempted to put the 6wt to the test. Being an all-round cowboy, I'll have an 8'6" med/lite spinning setup I use for salmon with me if I see alot of coho or chum, as the 6wt doesn't really have the backbone to keep 'em out of the snags and logjams (but I'll probably give it a try anyway). Let y'all know what I find. :thumb:

Jimbo

edit: wed, 10:40am: Dang! sunny and drying up here on the coast, was praying for rainshowers, but this is working weather now, and I have the oportunity to earn enough$$ today to replace my broken 8wt. Was going to do the work tomorrow, but why procrastinate any longer? The tide-timing is better for the spot I have in mind tomorrow, anyway, and the flow should be back to where I like it then. I'm outa here!! Hi-Ho! Hi-Ho.....