Early Spring Midge Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by steeli, Feb 14, 2009.

1. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Deadline extended to 7th due to website maintenance...

FINAL STATUS 3/20/09 (following were mailed out to participants):
    1. Steeli, Black/purple larva lace emerger, bloody griffith's knat- Ready to fly
    2. Jim S, BH Larva Lace Pupa, Shellback emerger - Received
    3. Ron M - Red Butt Buzzer, Chromie - Received
    4. Daryle H, 2 Buzzer Patterns - Received
    5. Ribka - Neeeeeever received.
    6. Zach, ice cream cone epoxy buzzer, olive zebra midge- Received
    7. Eric T, Tungsten BH Green/Red Ultra Wire, BH Red Chironomid - Received

Looking for some experienced tyers to share a few of your favorite chironomid patterns. Thinking 8 tyers to share 2 patterns each; any midge stage is fine. Early spring fishing is waiting for us, so deadline is set for March 4th; mailback by the 9th.
  2. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    I'd like to join this one. I would tie my emerger that evolved from learning the Lasha Raccoon and viewing many emerging naturals. I'm not big on stillwater midge pupa, but I tie a #20 bh larvalace midge that is my best producer for big browns in spring creeks. Sound okay?
  3. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    My hand is healing from the spey swap so I'll get in on this one, I'm going to try our Folks from England and copy two of their Buzzers, once I tie them I'll post a photo to see if everyone wants a copy.
  4. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Sounds good everyone; looks like we're 4 of 8 tyers so far. I don't have a preference for size; whatever you think produces best for you. Most midges probably somewhere in the 14-18 range. I recently saw links to those buzzer patterns; they look great.
  5. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Would be interested too

I have a soft hackle midge pattern that has worked great here in WA and BC and a dry pattern or can do a blood worm
    Tom
  6. Loopy Member

St Albans Old England
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I am looking to join a WFF swap but the dates are to near for me. This time!

:beer2:
  7. Zach M Because I floss so hard

Gig Harbor Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    im in and maybe my friend will get in too i will ask him tonight and let you know
  8. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    I think we should include Loopy, maybe extend a little for the post time, the photos from the loop look pretty good to me.
  9. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
  10. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    I think we should include Loopy, maybe extend a little for the post time, the photos from the loop look pretty good to me.
  11. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
  12. Loopy Member

St Albans Old England
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Thank you steeli and midge swappers for inviting me. I am due to join in a WFF swap but time is still against me on this one.

I would possibly let other swappers down elsewhere.

Next time please. Pretty please.

:beer1:
  13. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    I've got one pattern completed and working on a second. I'm enjoying this swap, for a I might tweak sizes and patterns and they're pretty quick to tie up. My flybox is definitely going to be stocked well.... Even if two other's do not sign in, I'm still up for swapping with six. Still think we'll get another couple out there that can tie up some midges and join in.

Sorry, but may be next time Loopy?

Zach, did you ask your friend?

I'm fine with pushing the deadline out some days if it helps others to joing in. Ok with others?
  14. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Doesn't matter to me, we could go with original timeline or bump it out a little, up to you. I'm cool with swapping with six as well - either way.
  15. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    ok guys, i'm in on this one too. I am going to be busy tying the next couple of weeks....looking forward to some good looking C'mids.
  16. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Now that we're up to 7 tyers; probably will stick with original deadline. I'll PM out address information in a few days.
    I hit a local lake yesterday using buggers, streamers, midges, etc. Best fly was a blood worm near the bottom. Hitting the vice this weekend, so may sub one of my flies for a bloody pattern.
  17. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
  18. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Oh phew! I still have a day to finish 'em up... I was trying to remember the dates (and had no idea the address) while the forum was down.
  19. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    I didn't get chance to PM the mailing information before the web site maintenance so obviously pushing out the deadline. Instructions being mailed this morning. Try to get them in the mail for arrival by this Saturday the 7th.

My ties are ready to go. How's everyone's coming along?
  20. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ran out of one material but have it coming from our site sponsor Pacific Fly fishing out of Mill Creek, hopefully done by the due date if I get the material in time.

Daryle