easiest fly to tie?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by soccerstud, Jul 11, 2004.

1. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

im just starting to tye my own flies whats the easiest to start out with

2. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

A very easy and effective fly is the Nyerges Nymph.Chennile and brown saddle hackle and a pair of scissors are all you need.The pattern is in many flybooks and probably on the web.It was the first fly I ever tied in about 1969 or 70.Caught a lot of fish with it in the desert lakes of Eastern Washington.

3. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

4. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i think the san juan worm, also known as garden hackle, is the easiest to tie. if you want it as an attracter and/or weight then put a bead in the middle of the fly and have it the top fly. use any color as long as it is red. for lakes i use microchenille and for rivers use small chenille.

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Crackleback. And it seems to work when (and only when?) nothing else works.

6. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

The standard first fly in a beginners class is a Carey Special. Tied on a 3XL hook size 8-12, a tail of phesant rump, and a body of black wool yarn or chenille. A hackle of phesant rump is tied on the back.

Yarn or chenille colors can vary between black, brown, green, or peacock herl.

Rob

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

A good manual or a class on flies would be good for you. One of the problems facing new tiers is do I have enough body or hackle or is my wing to big or small. You have to get your Proportions down. And a good starter book is "Concise Handbook of Fly tying" cost $7.95 written by Skip Morris. I've been at this a while and I still can't seem to get them right. Porportions that is.

Jim

8. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Glo Bug.....

-One Gamagatsu egg hook
    -Mcfoam (color of choice)
    -Scissors

= Steelhead........

9. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

hahaha .. what a one track mind you have!!! Funny cause I was thinking glo bug also, just a yarn one instead :thumb

btw mike....gamagatsu is spelled gamakatsu :p by far the sharpest steelhead glo bug hook I have ever been pierced with ;)

~Patrick ><>

Faith is nothing until it is everything!

10. GreenButt

GreenButt New Member

A big black wooly bugger on a streamer hook. Catches almost anything that swims. Good for building your technique with a lot of room for error. :thumb

11. dheike

dheike New Member

I took a beginning tyers class and Dave Hughes' "American fly tying manual" was given to each of us. Amazon Books has it pretty cheap. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0936608455/103-9345893-3853411?v=glance. It doesn't cost any more than $10 or $12 anyhow. He discusses wet, dry proportions and has about 300 different flies listed.
    Another great resource I think is Flyfish TV patterns page http://www.flyfishtv.com/tyingRecipes.htm#. The flies listed are in video clips w/audio.

Tie one on!
    Darrin ><>

12. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Geez, I can't believe I forgot about the marabou leech! It's no more than a series of small clumps of marabou barbs tied onto a heavy wire, long-shank, streamer hook. It helps to alternate colors like black, burgundy, olive, and brown, as some leeches are mottled in color. You can weigh it with a bead head or with wraps of lead-substitute wire. Otherwise, you can fish it behind a sinking line, though I once took a cuttie out of a secret lake/pond using a floating line. The hook provided enough weight for such a shallow bit of water. It's definitely one of my go-to flies when fishing winter and spring stillwaters. That was my first-fly of choice when I fished Pass Lake for my first time in January. First fish came within 10 minutes of putting in. :smokin

13. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

I second the black wooly bugger or any color of bugger for that matter and I also second Dave Hughs's books. I have several. Been tying since '87 and I still learn something new everyday. What a joy, passion, and way of life...keeps me out of trouble, except for the finances...

Harley

14. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

British Yarn Nmpth
    Materials Size 10-14 nympth hooks work best and Brown or Olive or Black or Dark Green yarn.
    Tie in yarn at hook bend

Wind thread to hook eye

Wrap yarn around hook forward to hook eye tightly to make a segmented body.

Tie off yarn at hook eye with the yarn at the top of the hook.

Fold yarn along hook shank and cut it so its just longer then the hook length. The yarn tag will become the shell back and tail.

Use an old fine tooth comb or tooth brush to comb out yarn tag.

Wrap yarn back to hook bend with yarn staying between segments so that it falls into grooves.

Fold yarn back over top of hook wrap yarn at hook bend with thread and tie off using hilf hitch knots. This is both the shell back and tail.

Clip thread

Each fly takes less the 5 minutes to tie even for a begginer and can be fished like a hares ear nympth. I have used to catch fish at lakes and streams. So simple, it almost funny that it catches fish.

By buying Camouflage yarn you will have all the needed colors for tying this simple fly in all its colors {Black, Brown, Olive and a kind of off Dark Green}.

15. Tom Hawkins

Tom Hawkins Newbie is fine w/me, I havent been FFing too long

I think Gil Nyerges fishes for Tarpon with the "nymph" and/or his "monster".... His nymph has been around since the mid fifties (I think) and Gil still teaches "basic" classes, just in case your interested......
    OBTW, all patterns submitted thus far are excellant.......
    Just remember...., #1, sparse, sparse and sparse......proportions will follow.
    Big fly, big fish, isnt always the case......

16. Black Shoes 12

Black Shoes 12 New Member

I would have to say a scud is the easiest fly you can tie but i dont know how much you guys use them up there. They are murderers down in my neck of the woods. But the San Juan is probably the easiest that i tie.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I thought I posted on this one. Hmmm. Bunny leech. One zonker strip tied at the bend. Turn vertically and palmer forward. Tie off and cut. Pretty simple and very effective. Change up the color as you please. Add a chenille ball to the head for an egg sucking leech (or a Dee's bead egg). You can do the multistep zonker tail, then palmering crosscut for the body. But have had excellent success with the one piecers. Plus less wastage and no stopping to retie in new material.

18. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

When I teach people I usually start with a bunny leach then progess to wooly buggers and esls then single eggs, and thin polar shrimp type things, after that flash flies and then nymphs and finally dries

19. flylikeIdo

flylikeIdo Member

A black midge is the easiest to tie, all you need is some black thread, bead head and a hook.

20. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Caddis pupa are very easy to tie, just a couple of colors of dubbing, one for the abdomen and one for the head. I usually do green and brown or olive and brown.