Eastern WA ??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NewToSport, Jul 23, 2002.

1. NewToSport

NewToSport Member

I am heading over to Eastern Washington (Tri-cities, Walla Walla area)this weekend? . Anyone have any suggestions?

2. IveofIone

IveofIone Guest

IveofIone
    Bring ice!!!!

3. OlyFlyguy

OlyFlyguy Member

Check the flows on the Tucannon and Touchet. The Touchet may be very low, but both offer decent fishing for rainbow and a few browns on the Touchet. There's also a fly fishing only 'pond' near the Tucannon hatchery called lake #4 (love that catchy name), where they put large brook stock periodically. The fish are there, just picky, but usually good action at dusk.

4. Stimulator10

Stimulator10 New Member

The name is Big Four Lake

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

No,it's called Rainbow lake. Big Four is farther up river. The lakes run as follows Spring,Blue,Rainbow,Deer,Watson,Beaver,Armstrong,and Big Four. Big four is up by the Tucannon GS.

I got this info off of a Metsker Map of Colunbia Co.

Jim

6. chief

chief Active Member

Most people consider the Grande Ronde (near Troy, OR) a fall/winter steelhead river, but it also has good fishing for trout and smallmouths. Also the Wenaha River is worth a look. Make sure to keep an eye out for rattle snakes if you visit that area.

7. Madison

Madison New Member

Fish the creek inlets to the GR if the water temp. is up. The Wenaha is a great stream if you are a run and gun type fisher and willing to hike. At this time of year the good sized trout will be in faster deeper water and pools. You need to cover a lot of water but it is great dry fly water. Try simple streemers in the holes for rainbows. The streemers may also get you some large Bull trout (DV) but you shouldn't target them. You may even see some large Steelies that make it up from the GR. The SH will hit streemers and large nymphs on occasion. The only downside; lots of snakes and bears. It is the only place where I have run into more than one bear in a day (three).

The Tucannon and Touchet are nice streems with better access. Not a lot of fish on the lower rivers but some nice ones. The last I heard the Browns in the Touchet were few and far between since they stoped stocking them a number of years ago. It use to be great for some lunker brown trout. My largest was 21-22 inches about 5 years ago.

If you fish any of them let us know what you find.

8. Stimulator10

Stimulator10 New Member

Oldman, your order of lakes is correct, although I have never heard of Armstrong, may not exist any more, may have been washed out. But the fly fishing only lake is Big Four. Rainbow and all the others are open to all fishing methods. The Tucannon can be productive, you just need to get away from the crowds

9. Pontooner

Pontooner Member

Media:
    I took my father in law who lives in Walla Walla fly fishing for our first trip together to Big Four at the end of May. We have been saying we are gonna go together for years and finally got out. He is one of those "yea I can fly fish, I did in the 70s a couple of times" guys. I had never fished that lake or that area before. We actually had a blast. Got into lots of fish with Dries even. We could see fish cruising the whole time. Most fish were 11-12 inchers but both of us hooked a nice 17-18 inch bow, I landed mine and he lost his, but may have hooked him again. I dont think there are many people left in Walla Walla county that he hasnt told the story too! :BIGSMILE

I really liked the lake, pretty area.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I've only been there once a few years ago in September. I stayed in a cheap motel. Thats my way of roughing it. Fished the Tucannon in many places,caught many small fish. I didn't fish the Touchet. It was just a trickle. But boy was it hot and did the beer ever taste good. :BIGSMILE

Jim

11. wrench

wrench Member

GO carp fishng!! I wish I was over that way, I miss carping......

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Is there access to the Wenaha from the Washington side or is it just a Oregon stream.

Jim