Eastern Washington Lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by sweetlou, Jun 11, 2007.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

I am looking for any information concerning the fishing of some particular lakes in NE Washington. The lakes are Ridge, Scotchman, Caldwell, Anderson, Yocum. If anyone has been there please let me know if it is worth exploring these lakes this summer for flyfishing.

2. 509

509 New Member

Where is the hell did you find out about these lakes?? The only one I have heard of is Yocum and I lived in the area!!

My bet is that they have either eastern brook or cutthroats. The reference materials I have shows a couple of the lake being rather shallow. There is a chance of winter kill since we had a more or less normal winter last year.

There is lots of other lakes to fish in the area. I would definitely take your fly rod along. You might not catch many large fish, but you will probably catch lots of fish. And brookies taste good!!

3. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

The only Lake I know about is Yocum. I usually fish it once or twice a year. It is on the opposite side of the Pend Oreille River from Ione,WA. The roads leading to Yocum aren't marked and difficult to find. Yocum is stocked with Cutthroat. Is rich in food. Fishing is usually easy. You will catch a lot of 8" - 12" cutthroats, hold overs will run about 15" - 17" and they will be fairly rare, 1 in 10 of the fish you catch. Occassionally you may catch something over 20" but that is indeed rare.

I don't think I've heard of the other lakes.

I tried looking up the other lakes on WashingtonLakes.com. Only Anderson Lake showed up and its in Western Washington. The other lakes must be small ponds or private lakes. I use to live in Pend Oreille county and I have never heard of the other lakes.

Keith

4. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

The other lakes I mentioned you can see from
    Google Earth next to Yocum. I listed them because they are all close to one another.

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Except there are no names attached to Google Earth so not sure how you can associate dots on a map with a name. Yocum get planted regularly with cutthroat. Caldwell gets brookies but the others don't get plants (at least under the name you provided).

6. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

BDD,
    I gues my version give you the names or I have some box checked. I was fooling around and looked accross the river and up pops 4-5 lakes and I said I'll be close by so why don't I try these places. I don't want to waste my time if there isn't anything in them.

7. FISHTOLIVE

FISHTOLIVE MEMBER

A little food for thought.........if you only fish where they stock fish you will miss some of the most beautiful area's and some of the best fishing Eastern Washington has to offer......IMO........I have found small lakes that aren't stocked but because of inlet's and outlet's of other lakes they hold fish....I never feel like I waste my time....I just fish to live:rofl: