Eastside Drift Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Mayfly Aviator, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Member

Media:
    Sold my Hyde a few years ago, and I currently have a raft. I like the raft but have been missing the ease of my drift boat. Since my wife is in Grad School, I won't be investing in a new boat for a few years and have been keeping an eye out for a steal on a used one.

I came across this deal, and am planning to look at it tomorrow. I've only rowed inflatables, Hydes, Clacks, and Fish-Rites, but never an Eastside. Any experience with these boats? I don't have specifics regarding age, but for $550 this seems like a deal.

Any thoughts on this boat?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/1367036679.html

Thanks in advance.

Sam

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    They're great boats. I have one now. I just need to actually STOP fishing it so I can do the restore on it. Have ripped it apart and put it back together so many times it's unreal. But once I get moved in a couple weeks, will literally tear it totally down and redo it from trailer up through the boat. Just curious what they mean "It needs help up in the bow". Hmmmmmm.

But I love mine. I'm in process of totally updating it. Have the full anchor system for it. Just need to work it out. If we hookup on Saturday, you can look at mine. Hell, that trailer is almost worth the money.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here's mine

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, if you get it. My buddy makes the stickers to go back on them. So if you want the stock Eastside stickers, can hook you up. :)

4. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Member

Media:
    I wondered what "help in the bow" meant also. I was initially concerned that it had structural problems up there, but I spoke to the seller, and the bow cabinet is just not in perfect condition currently. He sent the attached picture, and I'll be the first to admit that it's not the best looking cabinet, but does look functional. I imagine that the bow could just be a project for the future.

The seller has had the boat out lately, and there are no leaks or major issues from what he said. I'll have to look at carefully tomorrow to make sure it's in good condition.

If you have any other info/advice, I'd be happy to hear it!

Thanks,

Sam

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, i can help you on retrofitting. The Eastsides had a problem with the bow tray coming apart. Mine is doing that as well. I'm going to do a major fix on it. I'm assuming they just pulled it all the way out and made that thing. I wonder if they kept the old piece?

If the shell is in good condition, that's a major plus. I have a few spots I have to fix now, thanks to not having room to park the boat over the winter (I wasn't happy about it). She rows fine, but had some cracks near the anchor rest I need to fix. Have all the stuff to fix mine. Like I said, too busy fishing the boat to fix it up LOL.

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Hey, isn't that Jack Black, the famous movie star, in the Foster Grants?
    :rofl:

7. hugh s

hugh s New Member

I have owned an eastside since the middle 1970's, it has been a great boat and with a little maintenence over the years continues to provide good service. I have had no front tray issues at all, perhaps due to what looks to be a stock fibreglass storage enclosure beneath the tray which probably helps support it. My boat is also different in that it also has a wood interior--seats etc and a pedestal type mount for the rowers seat. Overall a good boat but with an old style 48 inch bottom.---- For the asking price a good deal even a bit of work is needed.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hugh, did you buy it used in the middle 70's? I know originally Eastsides were wood boats, then transitioned into glass (with wood gunnels and transom only). I've seen about 20 boats (literally over 20) with similar issues of the front tray. But they're glass trays that have no storage underneath. Your boat does sound odd, almost like someone retrofitted it. Mine is a late 60's model. Guy who had it before me was original owner who fished it like crazy. I haven't really done anything to it except S L O W L Y try to revamp it. LOL. Have all the parts to do it, just keep putting it together to fish it.

9. hugh s

hugh s New Member

Hi Jerry,
    Thanks for your info on the Eastside. The reason that I thought the storage at the front and rowers seat were factory was that when I got the boat the interior finish (white spackle over green) similar to the pictures of your boat was over both the front storage and the rower box/pedestal seat. There was also no indication that any other seat mounting method had been used.
    I have posted some pictures in my album if you would like to have a look.
    Please note that the wooden platform at the front was installed by me so that the front passengers are standing on a level surface. Any other wood in the interior has been copied from what was there originally, rowers seat was modified somewhat but is similar to what was originally there. Hope this info is not out of line considering the nature of the original post.
    Hugh

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hugh, somebody did some MAJOR modifications to your boat. That's not factory. If it is, they did a special one time order on it. If you know what you're doing, you can do that spackling. Your rowers seat looks like what was the inside motor well they put in some of the boats. Or somebody made their own. Under the boat, is there an opening where that seat is at? That's about the correct placing for their inside motor wells. Front bench is off too. Never saw one made like that, except in a couple of the wooden Eastsides. And even those, I think had more of a full wood bench. Someone did do a terrific job on your boat though. But I've only seen those closed bows (or mostly closed bows) in the newer eastsides right before they switched out to Lavro.

But whoever did the work, they did a good job customizing it. I just know when the Eastsides came two tone, it usually was two tone inside only. Outside was one color, inside either was matching or contrasting. My boat originally was a burnt orange outside, with burnt orange seats and bow with contrasting green. Guy I got it from painted outside white.

11. hugh s

hugh s New Member

Hi Jerry,
    Thanks once again for the additional info and kind words about my old boat, I have actually been very pleased with the layout of the interior and it is nice having dry storage under the front tray and more under the rowers seat ( the seat box is glassed to the floor of the boat and the rowers seat lifts off to provide access to storage --- no hole in floor or any sign of such ever being there) and as I get older I appreciate the ease of being able to step back around the seat box and exit the boat at the low end. I am sure that with appropriate maintenance this old boat will offer many more years of service.

12. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Jerry, I think you've become the defacto historian for eastsider boats.
    Yours is sweet. Mine originally came set up with a single wood bench across the front. A previous owner had hacked a hole about the size of a 1 gallon bucket to the left of center, probably so the eggs or shrimp wouldn't spill. I replaced all that using the original wood as a pattern, it was shot,... my wife originally thought I'd bought the trailer and agreed to toss the rest for the guy. I placed a swivel seat forward and a swivel seat aft. It most definitely balances best without a stern passenger, but the seat is mighty comfy. My forward platform was cracked and such, but some cloth and epoxy made that much better quite fast. I didn't do the original spackle when I repainted.

Hugh..very interesting sliding seat forward, are those oarlocks or are they rod holders up forward? And that seat is sort of where the motorwell should be, but that cover doesn't really work very well for a motor, no transom really, my guess is the interior is complete custom. Somebody somewhere knew exactly what they wanted.

Mine's on the classifieds...I'm probably asking too much, or it's the wrong time of year, or something, but the pics are there. Sweet boat...a bit blowy.

Cheers,

13. hugh s

hugh s New Member

Guy,
    That is a very nice looking boat I am sure you will have no problem finding someone to give her a new home. To answer your question, those are rodholders up foward, old fish-on type I believe, they are rather nice in that they are a clamp on design--- no need to drill the wood or glass to mount them.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Guy, I did alot of research on them years ago. Met a guy who helped build them, then spoke with Ron at Lavro as well about them (since Lavro is related to Eastsides). I'm no expert, but have picked up alot of info over the years. I love my boat. I was tempted to make it back stock, but want to add some bells and whistles to it. I've decided to change up a bit what I was going to do with it. I'm going to finish it up when I move (moving in 2 weeks). Will post up pics when it's done.

I will say this much Guy. You have a beautiful boat. BUT, the market on Eastsides aren't that great. Even for totally restored boats. Now, if you find someone who LOVES Eastsides, you may sell it for that much. But will be tough. Say it this way, I got mine for free. It's fishable, but had a good trailer, boat was sound, just needs some cosmetic work. I know a friend of mine totally restored his Eastside. Like I originally had planned to do mine (Gray inside, with a dark green outside). He finally sold it for $2k, and that was with a newer Baker trailer. He had alot of time and money invested, just most people will spend $3k for a used Clack or Hyde before an Eastside (and I love my Eastside, I'm tempted to pickup another one in the shorter model). I'd probably wait until the next trout season. You should be able to sell it.

15. Brett Holmstrom

Brett Holmstrom Member

Sam,

I owned one with some buddies about 10 years ago. It was a pretty decent boat actually. We did some glass repair, paint, and wood work including adding a rear lean bar. It looked pretty sharp when we were done. Make sure you check out the oar locks. I had one blow out in the tree farm on the Yak. We were very lucky to not lose the boat or worse. We beefed up the oar locks after that.

After we sold that boat, we got a hyde. Performance wise these boats aren't comparable. But you can't beat the price.

Brett