Eastside rivers worth a try?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by OlyFlyguy, Sep 3, 2002.

1. OlyFlyguy Member

Olympia, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi all, I could use your advice. I've got a work trip next week taking me from Oly to Spokane. I plan to build in an extra day and a half on the return, and I'm itching to fish one or two streams/rivers.

If YOU were on the way back from Spokane with an extra day, where would be your first choice this time of year? I'm curious to see if there's much agreement!

I would appreciate your input. I pledge to give a full (and hopefully successful) report upon my return.

:THUMBSUP
  2. Greg Moore New Member

Ellicott City (Baltimore), Md.
    The Yakima!!! The irrigation water has been shut off and the river is dropping. It will drop about 300 cfs per day (began on Sept. 1st) until about Sunday or Monday. The levels will then run from 1700 to 2100 cfs which makes wading that much easier. Since it is such a gradual drop it shouldn't turn the fishing off much as they will have a chance to move around and get settled.

Also, school's back in session so the tubers won't be there mid-week!!

Good luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman MacLean
  3. OlyFlyguy Member

Olympia, WA.
    Thanks. Ever fish the Yak just below Easton? Someone suggested it is worth a try. :DUNNO
  4. Greg Moore New Member

Ellicott City (Baltimore), Md.
    Only once, didn't do too well. Don't know the river that well up that high.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman MacLean
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    The Yak is always on the list when heading east. I have fished up by Easton. While I have caught fish up there, biggest 15", it is better further down. Try traveling down Hgy. 10 between Cle Elum & Ellensburg. It's a nice drive and follows the river, some nice access and some tougher access.
    In Spokane, check out the Spokane River for some big browns! I have heard the St. Joe in Idaho is a nice spot to hit. You can check with the FF shops in Spokane.

"Any man who pits his intellegence against a fish and loses, has it coming." John Steinbeck
  6. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Hey MB: If you don't mind a little Detour and want to fish some good
    rivers that aren't on the tip of everyones tounge.....Try the Pend Orelle and/or the Colville River up Stevens County way. Or even the Upper Columbia between Northport and the border. Alla those well worth a try....some monster browns in the Colville too. And the Upper Columbia is never low on water in the fall and full of 2 1/2 to 4 pound rainbows up there.
  7. SpokaneFisherman Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +12 / 0

Sorry, But I have to ask. As I've mentioned before I'm new to both Spokane and fly fishing. But where on the river would one find these Browns? I've fished the river for a few months now (with sporadic success), and have only seen Bows. But I'm really only familiar with two spots. Just trying to get a better feel for my local water. Thanks.
  8. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    Fishnfella, just out of curiosity, what is the Columbia like on that stretch? I'm pretty familiar w/ the slackwater sections in the middle. Is the area you're talking about a true, flowing stream? Or is it slackwater too?
  9. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    You don't have to apologize for asking... The first time I hit the Spokane was just this time of year (at a kids soccer tournament). I picked up a couple of 16 - 18" browns right at Stateline, also some nice, fiesty rainbows. There are a couple of FF shops that can give you other ideas. One that was mentioned to me was by the game farm / zoo(?), which is a little closer to town but still east of the city.
  10. SpokaneFisherman Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I'm only a few miles from the stateline so I'll have to check that out. I've actually been fishing at Mirabeau point which is where the zoo used to be. I've done alright there, but hopefully the fish will be more active when the weather cools down. Thanks again.
  11. OlyFlyguy Member

Olympia, WA.
    Thanks All for the suggestions. Anyone else have 'First Choice' Eastside rivers? :COOK
  12. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Hey o Mykiss: The upper Columbia up there is not exactly like a flowing stream (no riffles and runs etc.) but it's not exactly
    like Lake Roosevelt either. More like a tailwater with current and a few noticeable eddies, but little other surface indications and no structure. Best fishing up there is along the log booms in evening or whenever a hatch comes off. Not real float tube friendly. Mostly a boat show.