Easy pattern for Pinks?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Josh, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Speychucker New Member

Mission B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    take some pipe cleaners wrap them around a hook, done...

that's what I used when I was 10
  3. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Very nice work there!
  4. professori self-important blowhard!!

Coquitlam BC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Josh, tie any of the patterns you have been given, but in chartreuse as well. I have had lots of days when the humpies wouldn't hit until I switched from pink to chartreuse/green. I don't go out without both colours in my box.
  5. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Money.

Lots of different fish eat these patterns . .
  6. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Exactly!
  7. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    You're making this too hard . . .

Tie up some Gotchas, somewhat like the Caddis Fly Shop dude did in the YouTube video. You don't need to use rubber legs; that's the "Modified" portion of his Gotcha. It's just another material and decision to make, and you don't really 'need' it.

So, you need 5 materials; hook, dumbbell or bead chaing eyes, thread, flat diamond braid, and craft fur (the classic version uses bucktail, but I'd suggest craft fur). All easy to find, easy to use, and just follow the YouTube video.

If you use the color combos suggested by the YouTube tyer, you can save whatever you don't use for your bonefish trip; that' a money color, pattern, and size for bonefish everywhere. You can use the base hook/eye/braid pattern as a basic for a whole variety of flies, and just change the wing color. Heck, Mingo catches all of his cool Hawaii reef fish on a pattern extremely similar to this.