NFR Easy Rider

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by royalcoach, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +324 / 1
    Dennis Hopper was great in that film as well as Jack, Peter Fonda couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. Karen Black was in it also. I remember the poster of Dennis H. on his Harley flippin the dudes in the truck off, a classic, I bought that poster for my sister when she moved out of the house.
    constructeur likes this.
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    [IMG]
    But Peter & Nancy were epic.
    "Are you ready boots?"
  3. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +378 / 0
    From that film and for a certain generation this song from Steppenwolf was iconic :
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +378 / 0
    I think you're getting the Fondas and the Sinatras mixed up, David. Peter Fonda starred in Easy Rider.
    Nancy Sinatra sang "These boots are made for walking'".

Or I'm mistaken and you were simply talkin' to our WFF member "wadin' boot"? :)
    David Loy likes this.
  5. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    You are right, but the pic was from Wild Angels. An also ran moody righteous bike flick with both. I just segued.
    Call me sick but I still see her prancing boots. Frank no doubt spent a bundle promoting his baby girl.
    Dipnet likes this.
  6. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +797 / 1
    You're sick...:D
    constructeur and David Loy like this.
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,736 / 0
    At the time, it cost the least to film and made the most for the price tag. It certainly launched Jack's career.

I liked it. It fit the times. Probably, it wouldn't mean much to other than the Baby Boomers.
  8. Doug Lee Member

Auburn, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I remember reading about the diner scene. The diner patrons were everyday locals. The camera guy told them to do their everyday thing then had Hopper and Fonda walk in. The tense stare-down was pretty real for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. royalcoach Active Member

White Mountains NH/Maine
    Ratings: +107 / 0
    Im watching it again the first chance I get ! :eek:
  10. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +535 / 0
  11. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    That's the one Porter, love it.

Dipnet, that Steppenwolf album was the first LP I ever bought. " I like smoke and lightning, Heavy Metal thunder, racin' with the wind, and the feelin' that I'm under"
    Dipnet and Porter like this.
  12. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I never got hold of that poster of Hopper. Anyone here see him in Blue Velvet? His character Frank Booth was pure evil.
    I think Peter Fonda must have been the undisputed "master of expressionless." Playing a role without any acting ability. I think that's all he could do.
    Nicholson! He and Karen Black were also awesome in Five Easy Pieces. I loved the scene in the diner, when Nicholson's character tried to order something different than what was on the menu.
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  13. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Yah, I saw Blue Velvet, that was one strange movie.
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Bought my first Harley after watching that flic. It was a chopped 900 iron sportster with a bolt on hardtail. That launched my illusterous biker career. I wanted to be like Billy. I went on to own/build an unkown number of Harleys. The last one I built we sold to buy our first house.
    royalcoach and Chris Johnson like this.
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I believe Fonda paid to make the film... he can't act so that's most likely the only way he got the part :)
  16. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,036 / 1
    Fonda was nominated for a lead actor oscar in 1998's Ulee's Gold. Maybe he studied a lit in between being Captain America and Ulee.:oops:
  17. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I've never seen Ulee's Gold so maybe he was able to act in that one.

The others I've seen with him attempting act.... not so much.

His Dad could most certainly act, but Peter?.... I think his last name helped him land a lot of parts. But hey, maybe I should watch Ulee's Gold just to give him another chance.

Doesn't matter... Easy Rider was still a significant movie of the time regardless of the acting ability of Peter Fonda.
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,731 / 0
    He was also in "Wild Hogs" but only for a few seconds. He seems to get short bit parts in a few action films.
  19. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    I think it's safe to say that that the movie resonates with (A) people who grew up in the 60's and (B) identified with the main characters in a way that it could never do for people for whom neither A nor B is true and doesn't really stand up on it's own as a film in a way that other classic films from that vintage and older do.

Having said that - I still enjoy lots of genuinely horrible music and movies from the 80's and 90's that I would probably find it impossible to listen to if I hadn't been growing up at the time and had them as a sort of acoustic/psychic background for that part of my life, so I can understand why people for whom A and B are true love the film.
  20. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I suppose if you're of an age to consider Easy Rider a classic, you probably feel the same about Up in Smoke :D
    Old Man and Chris Johnson like this.