Eat it....Where you Killed It.

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Vladimir Steblina, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +240 / 0
    So I am reading this article about Alice Waters (Chez Panisse Restaurant owner) and she is talking about the importance of using fresh, local food in her restaurant. Now I lived in Berkeley for more years than I thought possible and I always found her restaurant a little too cute.

However, she does have a point.

My best meals have always been in the field. A plate of quail breasts simply and quickly fixed in a frying pan just minutes after being shot. Rainbow trout in the back country of Sequoia National Park fixed on a pointed stick and over a small fire (I forgot to throw the cookware in the backpack). Cutthroat trout up in a high mountain lake in Idaho. And my favorite food fish....brookies caught anywhere in the west and immediately fried with farm fresh eggs.

So maybe those of us into the "blood" sports need a bumper sticker to get people to eat more natural food. Something like EAT IT....WHERE YOU KILLED IT. Have a jumping fish at one end and a deer on the other.

Maybe we can even get Alice to endorse the movement.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,034 / 1
    I've had ribs in deer camp from a deer shot that morning. Also had trout so fresh that they wouldn't lay straight in the pan.
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Elk liver on a stick, mmmmmm
  4. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Cutthroat in a frying pan in the high country. Nothing better!!!!!! Except maybe a grouse!!!!!!
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,034 / 1
    I forgot the "next morning" deer liver and onions. Had that more than a few times while on the high hunt.
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Some truth to this. We just had venison burgers. By far, the best response from those eating them were toward the burgers ground fresh the same day. A week later, after being frozen, they just didn't have the same appeal. Still good. Just not coming back for seconds and thirds kind of good like the first batch.

I'm a big fan of cooking meat over the open fire at camp. Grouse is AMAZING just pulled off in chunks of meat and skewered on a stick and roasted over flames. Same for quail. Best way I've had rabbit too.

For trout, in the back country on lean packing trips (grills, frying pans or cooking utensils), I prefer the tiniest of the brook trout. A 4-7 incher is ideal. Simply catch, leave head on, gut out, and put a pointed stick in from mouth, through body cavity, and inserted into tail section just a bit to hold. Roast back\skin side first, then finish by allowing the flames to come up into the body cavity (do this last as if you reverse process, fish may fall into flames as it cooks through. this is also why I don't like the bigger fish - too much body mass and it is hard to keep on stick long enough to cook through). If you planned ahead, a butter packet from a fast food joint, and salt and pepper packets, applied just before cooking is a nice touch. But the flame roasted skin and meat is mouth watering as is. Lay fish down on paper plate or whatever you eat out of, and cut away the top layer of meat revealing the spine and ribs. Then just grab tail or head and pull that whole section of bone out. The smaller trout have such tiny bones, that this is all you have do. No more bones to worry about, and 2 nice 'fillets' ready to eat.
  7. 406Jake New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    This post makes me miss home... Growing up on a farm in North Central Montana we had the luxury of hunting and fishing out of our back door. Nothing better than shooting a pheasant or catching a few trout heading home and having [disclaimer: Seattle Buzzwords] fresh, locally sourced, organic, sustainable food on the table.

We also used to have a tradition on the farm where once a year we would see how quickly we could cut wheat from the field and bake a loaf of bread. I think the record was just under 50 minutes. Cut the wheat, grind into flour, add yeast salt etc, toss in the oven and enjoy. Nothing better.
  8. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +692 / 0
    Archery deer backstraps and fresh-picked mushrooms . . .