eating local fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Page, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    It should be noted that fish consumption is only one of several ways water quality standards are determined. For example, ammonia limits in fresh water have nothing to do with fish consumption; ammonia in certain forms is acutely toxic to fish. It doesn't accumulate in their tissues...it interferes with their respiratory systems.
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    You folks that like canned tuna should switch to line-caught Albacore from OR and WA offshore waters. The canned stuff I buy from the local small canneries that get their fish from local fishers is infinitely superior to any of the product from the major brands yo see in the supermarket. There's just no comparison.
    I buy it direct from the local small canneries, at their retail outlets. More expensive, but worth it.
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,535 / 0
    If you're so inclined, you can buy Albacore directly from the boat at Newport Bay in Oregon. Of course that might be a bit of a drive if you live in Montana.

There's also charter boats dedicated to flyfishing if you want to catch your own. Someday I'd like to try that. As I understand it, a tuna takes off like it was shot from a canon once hooked... boating one with fly gear is a challenge.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    Thank you Gene.

Like I said I'm not a Sea Food eater. Like when the wife want Chinese food. I'll order American. I might eat differently, but I like what I like.

I guess that I'm a big fan of meat and potatoes.
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,535 / 0
    Same here. I moved from cattle country to sea food country... I too am more of a fan of meat and potatoes than anything else. Even if I went on a tuna flyfishing trip, I'm still not so sure I'd be up on eating what I caught. I've tried barbecued albacore that was given to me by one of the guys at work who has his own ocean boat and is a tuna catching fool.

I'd rather have a T-bone.
  6. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    A truly sad thing is most states, maybe all, have recommended maximum amounts of fish to eat over a period of time for specific lakes and rivers. Growing up in Midwest farm country I remember drinking out of creeks, everybidy did. Now agriculturural and industrial chemicals have touched all waters.
    And what is even more sad is with new GMO agendas farmers can plant herbicide resistant crops that allow even more use of chemicals.
    But, the saddest of all to me is what appears to be little resistance and effort to move to more sustainable methods. Everyone says they want to, but it's not economical. Perhaps life on the planet will become extinct because it is not economical to save it.:(
  7. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Mankind will always choose short-term economic benefit over long-term survival. We're just built that way; reactive, not proactive.

And when things go bad, we'll pitch a fit that somebody should have done something about it.

Don't worry, while mankind may go extinct, life on earth will go on just fine for the next several billion years...with or without us.
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    Dillon Safeway has fresh caught Hoh River steelhead for sale... they're all missing a fin or two, so it's all good!
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    It's not fresh. It's all been frozen at some time.
  10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    And fresh, or frozen, all salmonids taste like shit.
    Old Man likes this.
  11. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    I never buy canned tuna, canned salmon is better and better for you.
  12. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    Everyone wants to get to heaven Dan, very few are willing to do what it takes to get there!
  13. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Beef, it's what for dinner
    Old Man likes this.
  14. FLYFLICKER Chris

Vancouver, Washington
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Touché
    Meat and Taters
  15. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    That reminds me, fencing cattle out of streams isn't bad for water quality either.
    Jim Wallace likes this.