Eating Pinks?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    If they are silver when you catch them, and I mean silver or siver -blue, and not green, then with proper care they will be excellent table fare. That means anything caught in fresh water will not quite make the cut. Just my opinion though...
  2. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +866 / 0
    halibut eat copper pipes filled with lead or month old salted herring.... it'd be like using a dog's taste to determine what to eat... and my dog eats it's own s#$%

the trick in icing salmon which most people do not do is not just putting the fish on ice after bleeding... but you really should gut the salmon and pack the insides with ice.... especially on those nasty oily kings
  3. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    As I'm following this, Pink Salmon have a very mild flavor and you have to add ingredients of choice to cook. I like them since I don't get a lot of silvers or kings. One way I like them is bbq'ed with mango salsa on top. I have also found that if you cook them just a tad longer it cooks out some of that oil that most people find offensive. At any rate, take a cooler with ice along and follow everyone's advice. Bleed them and gut them. Then et them on the ice right away. They smoke up nicely too.
  4. johnnyrockfish Member

Kitsap County, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Don't know about the need to bleed but if you get them cold quickly and eat them fresh they're fine. They're flesh is tender compared to other species, so get them in the cooler ASAP. I made the guys on our purse seiner try them since we'd been fishing for them all season in SE AK. Not bad, we poached ours in foil with lemons. Hard to mess up fresh fish except overcooking. Once the meat is flaky it's done.

JR
  5. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    I would suggest cedar planking them. That has worked well for me.
  6. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    I like to put the fish on the BBQ and slather it in butter. When the butter carmalizes slather that guy up with some mayo, when that gets all carmelized sprinkle some cayane (sp) pepper on that sum bitch. Den ya eat it wif yo toofs!
  7. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Oh man, you guys are making me hungry....and I hope to catch a bunch of Pinks this year on the fly. And thanks for all the tips...yumyumyum! :thumb:

Jc:)
  8. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    We did a blind taste test with a pink and a silver. They were both cooked the same and there was not a clear winner. One thing that needs to be take into account is the booze a week in the boonies fishing on a boat almost everything taste good.
  9. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
  10. springer125 Member

Seattle
    Anyone have any advice for keeping the slime down on these little buggers? I always bleed and ice immediately but they still seem to turn into slimmers within an hour of being bonked. Makes them a pain to clean as well as i have issues with the fillets sticking to the smoker racks even when i pre-spray the racks with a no-stick product...
  11. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    Vinegar strips the slime off of them instantly. I pre spray my racks too. It works much better when it is sprayed on cold, vs a warm rack, for some reason.
  12. springer125 Member

Seattle
    Thanks, i will give that a try..
  13. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Pike from hardwater are nortoriously slimy....we always wrapped them in newspaper...prolly work for pinks as well.
  14. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +320 / 1
    First of all you have to pick the right fish,(as with any salmon) a large male if possible. They have a thicker belly with more fat, which makes for more flavor and moisture. If caught when bright they fry up great, salt,pepper, garlic and flour. For smoking, before you fillet them take a knife and scale them, keep scraping until all the scales are gone and the skin starts to turn white where the scales were. This allows the brine and the smoke to penetrate the skin, and the fish to smoke more quickly.