Eating Whitefish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Dan Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm a catch and release trout guy, but I found out this summer that there are whitefish in Colorado - big ones. I didn't keep any of them, but a kid that guided in the area where I caught them said they were good smoked. Someone on this BB recently mentioned catching some for dinner. Is this for real? If so, what the best way to prepare and cook/smoke them?

Dan
  2. Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Fayetteville, NY, USA.
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Its no joke. Supposedly you can smoke them and they taste good. But that's a terrible argument because you could smoke an old boot and it would taste good. I guess whitefish is considered a luxury item in Canada. Its ranks second on their list when compared to other Candadian luxury items such as back bacon and cheap bear, of course.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)
  3. Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Fayetteville, NY, USA.
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Wait a second. Did I say "bear"? I meant beer. Wow! I'm getting dumber by the minute..

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)
  4. emasterj20 New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I too recently became interested in the possiblity of keeping a few of the dozens of whitefish I catch. I looked for recipes and nutritional info and found a couple sites of interest. I have not tried any of the recipes yet, so I am unable to comment on them one way or the other. I'm thinking of trying a recipe from the second address. The first address has some nutritional info as well as other various whitefish info.

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Food_Guide/Whitefish.htm

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/content/features/cl-grilled-whitefish/index.asp

Hope this helps.
  5. Piscator New Member

Ellensburg, WA, USA.
    I have always thought that I dont like whitefish either. No one does. They are too bony and don't taset good.
    Then I remembered that I have never had whitefish. So I tried one(Caught out of the Yakima while fishing for trout) It wasn't bad at all. Just grill it on a BBQ and enjoy. Not too bony either, not much worse than a trout.
    give it a try.

Fish on!
    Len
  6. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +476 / 0
    Whitefish are excellent fare. They are no bonier than a trout; in fact the bone structure is very much like that of a trout, just a little heavier. If taken from clean, cold water the flavor can be a bit better than that of trout. Smoked, grilled, fried, they are vry tasty. Lake Whitefish, which are closely related to our Mountain Whitefish were taken in large numbers in the Great Lakes commercial fishery and were particularly prized when smoked.
  7. fshflthnkng New Member

everett, wa, usa.
    Hi there,A few buddies and i kept/fried and enjoyed whitefish on the Madison last summer(Mont.)They are closely related to their "lake" cousins which are higly regarded as table-fair in the midwest/great lakes region(planked whitefish??). the colder the water the better(like crappies).Tight lines...FSHFLTHNKNG :THUMBSUP
  8. Native Member

Fremont, WA
    FYI: The WDFW lists (in the Regs pamphlet) the Yakima River whitefish in it's consumption advisory for being potentially unhealty to eat.

The Yak is a popular place to fish for the long-nosed buggers, but they are a bottom feeder afterall, and who knows what chemicals and whatnot they pickup down there.