NFR Eating wild, farmed, or hatchery fish.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rory, Feb 28, 2013.

1. There has been a lot of talk about which restaurants are serving wild vs farmed fish. Giving customers choices is very important, but only if we choose what we believe is the best option.Farmed salmon is wrong, but farmed trout is better? We can't hold wild steelhead out of the water, but we should kill (and eat) hatchery fish, both wild (as in not living in a pen until slaughter). What are your thoughts on this? I saw Icelandic Arctic Char on a menu recently. Claimed as sustainably farmed. Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch agreed. Does anyone else make their choices based on the Seafood Watch?

2. I don't really care to eat fish. Good Cod is about the only fish I will eat along with Sole. The last time I ate Salmon was about 40 years ago.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. I'm not sure what the question is, but I eat a few dozen steelhead a year and about half as many salmon. I figure that's more than my fair share of the tax money it costs to make them.

4. Yeah, I'm not really sure what the problem with either of the three is...

There's a difference between closed-pen and open-pen farming- does anyone ever even think of that...?

And hatchery fish, I have no problem bonking one if the regs allow it and it will remove it from a population of wild fish.

And wild fish, depending on the species and body of water and the sustainability of it's popupulation, I also don't have a problem bonking one or two if it's going to be eaten and not wasted...

I'm going to melt some butter and get some popcorn...

5. Do you make your choices based one legality, morality, what an aquarium tells you is right?

6. Life would be a whole lot simpler if we are converted to a vegan diet. But I firmly believe that there is room for all of gods creatures right next to the mashed potatos & gravy on my plate

7. My wife buys Costco salmon, mahi-mahi and occasionally halibut ... it's all good. She also buys their Kirkland dolphin free tuna...also good. I've had what was listed as fresh caught McKenzie River trout at breakfast in Oregon last fall, it was good, but don't think I'll do the eggs and fish thing again anytime soon.

...what the hell was the question and purpose of the thread again? :D

8. WTF is a open pen

9. I think its kinda like , just before you get the rings on deck when your seineing

10. farmed trout come from freshwater facilities that don't directly kill wild salmon, the only downside is that they taste like shit.

farmed salmon also taste like shit and the act of farming them kills wild salmon.

wild salmon if managed properly, with intact habitat are the ultimate sustainable resource! This is why its so important we figure out how to defeat pebble mine.

Patrick Gould and Jason Rolfe like this.
  11. Open-pen farming is the most common and seen type of farming, often taking place in protect bays and coves, or along sheltered coast line.
    Any disease and sickness can go directly into the surrounding water, and any medication that is administered can be flushed out into the water as well. Also, by being placed here, any medication and sickness/disease that is present, often takes time to be flushed out into the main water ways, often lingering and affecting the surrounding ecosystem.

Closed-pen farming is in laymans terms, on-ground farming. Often taking up large plots of land with lots of bins/tanks/pools. Any disease and medication can be filtered out through systems instead of being flushed out into the water. These fish often taste horrible, as stated above, but has less impact on surrounding aquaculture.
    These fish farms are also very expensive to run due to the high cost of hydro and electricity.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  12. Does anyone ever ask where their fish comes from? I think that there is one standard question the public asks about salmon, "Is it wild or farm raised?" All of these other threads make me believe that fly anglers have more concern than that.

13. I always do, their standard reply is From the Broker

14. I tend to shop for fish at markets that at least make an effort to advertise where and how the fish were caught. Central Market in Shoreline is good in this respect. My preference is troll caught fish from one of the sustainable Alaskan fisheries. I'll also buy fish from the San Juan Islands reef net fishery. They do take fish that might otherwise be available for sport fishing, but they have the ability to sort out and release by catch.

I've never knowingly bought any closed pen trout or salmon.

I think the Monerey list is a good starting point, and I'm sure they're concerned about the fish. I believe they look at dwindling fish stocks from only a very broad macro level. I think in the Northwest we need to look at our endangered fish region by region and watershed by watershed.