Echo Dec Hogan rods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sloan Craven, Sep 30, 2007.

1. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Dec, et al, is there a general run down on what the rod series will contain? Length/line weight sort of stuff.

Fred
  2. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
  3. Marty New Member

Heber, Utah
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Little update on Dec (he would never do this, he has to much class, so I am going to do it for him). Yes its true Dec moved to Utah, not to be a firefighter but to be with the love of his life. He is very happy in his new relationship and new life. Dec had a life long goal of being a firefighter, that goal became possible because of the move to Utah. To say Dec is getting back into the fishing scene is a slight disconnect. He never left, in reality he is more into the fishing scene now than he ever was as a full time guide. Just this year alone he has fished for steelhead in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, hosted a week of two handed casting for kings in Alaska, has taught over a dozen two handed casting clinics (one today), and has traveled all over the US doing book signings and slide shows. He has conducted rod testing for both trout and steelhead rods, written equipment reviews and articles for American Angler and Fish and Fly. The reason he teamed up with Tim (Echo) is because of there long time working relationship and he knew Tim would let him design a two handed rod from the ground up. I am sure Dec could have put his name on any rod out there, but he did not want to just slap his name on a rod. Yes its true Dec is no longer grinding it out as a full time guide but he has never lost he drive to share is knowledge and expertise with any who wants to learn. The man is still all about his passion for fly fishing, he has just made some adjustments in his life. I have known Dec for a while now and I can honestly say he is happier today than he has ever been. Now if you were to say Dec has changed, I would agree with you 100%. It’s not all about steelheading for Dec these days, he is a devoted husband and father who care deeply for his family. He has found the perfect balance between his two passions in life. This all might sound a little mushy but bonds run deep when it comes to steelheading partners, love him like a brother.
    Marty

All of the Echo DH (Dec Hogan) are true two handers. Here is the line up; 11’9” #4, !2”2” #5, 12’6”#6, 13’ #7, 13’3”#8 and a 13’9” #9. The blank is a sanded black with dark green wraps. The cork is much like the old logic. The reel seat has a dark green graphite insert. The cosmetics are very nice with a low build finish on the wraps. Only one tip. Matched with the right line all of the rods have a consistent action.
  4. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Echo and Rajeff Sports are at the absolute forefront of spey rod development. Many of their innovations in the past few years with tapers and rod lenght have been copied by other companies. Echo also produces some of the finest casting spey rods I've ever used.

I fished the Decko a few weeks back in the 7 and was very impressed, it just felt right. Sweet casting stick.
  5. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I fished the Decho 5 wt the other day with one of the new Airflo 420 grain Skagit Compacts. Awesome combination with a poly leader. I might actually have to fish for trout again. Alaska is going to be sick next summer.
  6. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    WTF?! I just bought a Classic and now something new and improved has come along? Oh well, at these prices I can have one of each.
    WT
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    :thumb:

Get used to it .......:rofl:
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,391 / 0
    Marty or Dec,

What about that 11' 9" 4 wt. Spey? Is this a true wet fly Spey rod for trout? I have a 12' 6 wt CND rod that I love for light summer steelheading, but it is a bit heavy for the average sea run cutthroat IMO. What line does this smallest of Dec's lineup cast best?

Thanks.

Sg
  9. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    One of the things we are reminded of when reading posts like the recent ones on Global Warming is that there are ONLY two kinds of people in the world. Those you would want to share a boat with, and those you wouldn't:rofl: For some people, who's in the boat with them is more important than how much money they are bringing into the boat.
  10. Marty New Member

Heber, Utah
    I have not fished the 4 weight but have spent some time casting it. It was lined with a Skagit Head and running line. Distance was not a problem (80+ feet) nor was casting larger flies. There would be some issues in trying to turn over a large leaded bunny but no problems with soft hackles or spiders. Can’t wait to Skitter and skate caddis next year on a few local trout streams. The 4 and 5 are true two handers designed to swing flies for trout and will provide a new tool for the avid fly fisher. I use two handed casts all the time with my single handed rods. Now I will be able to get the two handed feel during the heat of the summer while waiting for the big fish to return.
  11. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    How the heck did you guys get to fish these rods before they even came out?

How did you get connected enough to fish a rod that Dec himself posted is not even done yet and won't be ready until December?

I want to be able to play with this stuff too......

Guess I will just have to buy one :)
  12. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    They are in the know, my man. Mark my words...Its only a matter of time before you see the "Steelie Mike Special" and the "Zen line" at the fly shop.
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    Complete with Southpark styled packaging?
  14. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    We can only hope
  15. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    From one of Dec's earlier posts:

"As Marty stated the rods won't be out and available until December at the earliest. We could have had them out earlier, but Tim and I wanted to get it right. We've nailed the actions, now we are waiting for what is hopefully the last go 'round (of prototypes) in the cosmetic department."

Rod development ususally goes through several changes in the config of the blank itself ... the best way? Had the Proto's to casters (who really fish) and say: 'What do you think?' The collective nature of the feed back gives the designer
  16. Dave Fulton New Member

Frederick, MD
    Hi all,

To those who have cast these rods, do you think they'd do well casting a scandi system?

I would also be interested in hearing opinions regarding how these rods compare to the Deer Creek series by TFO.

Thanks.

Dave Fulton
  17. Marty New Member

Heber, Utah
    Dave I fished the 7 last week on the Ronde and Snake. Dec had an Islander set up with an Airflo Scandi and a 15 foot fast sink leader. The system was amazing and I was able to cast some larger flies. When I changed to a dry leader on the Snake I had a problem getting the rod to load. I was using a 9’ poly leader with tippet. I think if I would have gone to a 15 foot leader it would have performed better. I am not a big Scandi fan but do find that the system has some advantages and the Dec rods have an action the can do most anything.
  18. SSPey Member

Oregon
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    such as what, and copied by whom?
  19. jonrue a life in the day of...

Walla Walla, WA
    Check out the Fish and Fly Volume 7 Number 5 (Midseason 2007), there is a comparison by Dec, Brian Silvey, and Al Perryman of 13 foot spey rods rated for 8/9 weight lines. Silvey and Perryman are at least as positive as Dec (if not more so) in their praise of the Echo rod.
  20. jonrue a life in the day of...

Walla Walla, WA
    one quick question--what will blanks run?