Ed Munro State Park?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Sep 4, 2012.

1. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Anyone fish it? I searched and found zilch. Is it spelled wrong in Google maps?

2. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Nobody? Is it a secret to all? Anyone name the Nintendo reference?

3. Rich Schager

Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

4. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

5. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    I'm back in Seattle from vacation! Fished Seahurst today from 10-2:30. Saw one fish jump. Caught him. Surprised from the satellite photos that it wasn't more productive. Maybe I should have arrived later. Anyone else having any luck in the general vicinity?

6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

That parks actually a marine preserve, i sent you a PM with a bunch of links and stuff.

KC

7. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    So after speaking with Kcahill via PM, who was very helpful, I am a bit confused about the status of Munro. The non-government affiliated group found at www.seahurstpark.org claims that Seahurt is a marine reserve and hence is off limits to fishing. They present a city ordinance that reads:

(2) Seahurst Park and Eagle Landing Park are designated as marine reserve areas. The taking or intentional damaging of shells, rocks, plants, driftwood, shellfish, or animals dead or alive from the beaches within marine reserve areas is prohibited. This marine reserve designation shall allow and encourage the protection of fragile marine ecosystems and the education of the public regarding proper beach uses. The intentional taking or damaging of shells, rocks, plants, driftwood, shellfish, or animals dead or alive from the beaches or associated marine areas within these areas is prohibited. [Ord. 475 § 2, 2007]

My question is the wording. It states animals dead or alive may be "taken" or "damaged", . I feel like the group is stretching this to mean "no fishing". No where have I been able to find that catch and release fishing is prohibited, just removing fish from the beach. In addition can a city municipality make/enforce such designations without Washington Fish and Game oversight?

8. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I fish Seahurst park and have never had any problems. Not the most productive beach but only a couple of minutes from my house.

9. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I have been curious about the answer for a while but since I don't live right there i never called. I stopped by one day(it was too crowded to fish) and noticed the marine preserve signs and looked it up when I got home and found that website, and when I saw "State fishing regulations apply in most City Parks, but Seahurst Park and Eagle Landing Park are designated as Marine Reserves, so no fishing inside the Park boundaries. And no hunting." I never went back.

Be interesting to find out what the real answer is.

10. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I looked over the reg tonight and couldn't find anything about the park in there. Carkeek Park is also set up as a marine preserve, but the regs state that it is close to all harvest except finfish by hook and line. I expected to see something in the rule book along the same lines, but there was no mention.

I'm interested in the answer as well. I may call the regional office tomorrow to find out.

11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I live near there and dont really fish it, I see a couple of guys there regularly and I usually ask if they have had any luck, usually the answer is no, doesn't look very fishy anyways, no major points or tide rips, just a plain old beach. That being said any beach on the sound warrants a good ol college try

12. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

So true Pat, any beach can be fishy IF the fish happen to swim by while you're flogging' the water!

13. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    I still have yet to google anything that support the 3rd party claims that it is off limits to catch and release. Anyone?

14. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

It doesn't appear to be a state designated Marine Protected Area (MPA). Strictly the Burien Municipality. I found the text of their statute and nothing is mentioned regarding finfish from the water. All references are to the beach and taking/removing anything from the beach. The state rules regarding MPAs allow the taking of finfish. My guess is that the state rules would take precedence. Here's the text of the Burien Marine Reserve designation:

"Section 1. Marine Reserve Designation Declared. Seahurst Park and Eagle Landing Park are hereby designated as Marine Reserves. For purposes of this Resolution, the term “Marine Reserves” shall operate to prohibit the taking or intentional damaging of shells, rocks, plants, driftwood, shellfish, or animals dead or alive from the beaches within the Parks identified above. This Marine Reserve designation shall allow and encourage the protection of fragile marine ecosystems and the education of the public regarding proper beach uses."

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The park is run by the city of Burien. It is set aside for observation and testing. I have taken my students there for beach walks, observating and marine quality testing for the past twelve years. The Highline School District has a marine lab on the site where they raise and release salmon. I believe the Marine Science program is still operating but at a lesser rate as funding is tight. I've never seen anyone fish there. I'd call WFDW and check before I dropped a line and watch where you walk very carefully as there are colonies of anemonies all over the beach as well as other delicate sea life. That's why the place is deignated as it is. It's pretty unique.

16. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I called the region office Friday to ask about it and left a message but haven't heard back from them yet.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2