edgebright

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by tomly, Sep 16, 2008.

1. tomly

tomly tomly

First time on your site and looking for a fly tying material called edgebright. I want to try it on a couple of shrimp and crab patterns and cant find a source here on the East Coast. Hope some one can help. Thanks guys tomly:cool::cool::cool:

2. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

4. shawn k

shawn k Member

try looking for lazer wrap or edge glo the guy who trademarked edgebright went out of buisness years ago.

5. Philster

Philster Active Member

go to dollar stores and look for neon scribble tablets. You know you write on the surface with a stylus, then lift it up the sheet and it "erases" what you wrote. That's edgebright. Only it'll be alot cheaper:clown:

6. tomly

tomly tomly

Thanks guys for the quick response about the edgebright. Good luck with the stealhead fishing. I did it way back and it was the best fly fishing I ever had. now retired and no pay check coming in so it only dreaming about it. Thanks again

7. Norseman1

Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

Philster....you and I think alike. Just went into Walmart looking for purple edgebrite. Went into the kids toy section and found those scribbling tablets you speak of...unfortunately they did not have purple...but pink, orange and chartreuse ...and at 99 cents each they would make a hundred flies for sure.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Cheap bastards! I absolutely love it. I am always searching wal-mart, target and various fabric and craft stores looking for stuff on sale wondering...what can I tie with that? I've never used the edge bright, but I'll be looking for it on my next trip.

9. Norseman1

Want the cheapest scud back you have ever found.

Go to a fabric store and ask for ladies bathing suit elastic. It comes from 1/8th inch to 5/8ths inch in width. Takes a permanent marker perfectly and even has the reflective flecks that scud back has....cheap too....like 35 cents a metre..........

I am going to have to go back to Walmart and find a translucent purple beach ball and cut it up for edgebrite........:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Ed Call

Oh, I have a pink inflatable of that translucent stuff, cats popped it and the kids cried for hours. I told them I would patch it but I found that nearly impossible. I could tie a billion flies with that. Anyone willing to post a photo of what you tie with such material? I might even trade some of the material for other things I might need in my my tying area.

11. Norseman1

12. Ed Call

Paul, thanks for the link to the lantern. Great looking fly that I'll tie up and try for sure. I like the bright and black combo. That akflyfishers.com site is great, I'm following one of their rat patterns for an articulated steelhead swap currently. Great site, great directions, great photos. Thanks again.

I went down and whipped these up to try it out. Synthetic fur for the tail hair fibers. Holographic silver tinsel, one has a pale pink hackle under black, the other has flourescent pink under black. I did not have any good black hackle, so this will have to do for now. Let me know what you think. I've got enough of this "edgebrite" fabric from a 3' diameter inflatable to tie a billion flies. PM if you have some colors you want to swap for some of this hot pink.

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

Never caught a steelie on an edgebright fly. Can't take more than 5 casts with one before thinking "I bet I'd do better with a spey or spade, or skunk, or muddler, or...":(

But back in the nineties in california during shad season? I would go a solid month with nothing else on my tippet:eek:

Oh, and I've never seen a purple tablet either Norseman1. Pink and orange out the wazoo. Chartreuse is kinda rare in my experience. Snap those up!

14. Mark Walker

Mumbles! bend down those barbs!

15. Ed Call

fdc, I alwasys bend my barbs with my flat pliars as I put them into my fly boxes...honest!

By the way, I just scored yards of edgebright in Hot Pink, Hot Yellow and Hot Green. If anyone needs some I will send them a swatch for postage and a very small fee. The supply that I got exceeds my lifetime of fly tying needs.

I guess I should wise up and bend the barbs before tying the fly. That way if one breaks it is not a lost fly, just a broken hook. I do break a few, but then I cut them cleanly and use them as training flies for practice casting in the yard or with my kids.

16. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Do your kids and the neighbors kids know that they no longer have them kick balls?

17. Mark Walker

Mumbles I'll try some. PM me regarding shipping. Thanks

18. Ed Call

Ever hear the Hamburguler speak? Nope, just grobble grobble! That is what I sound like sifting through all the neighborhood kids crap in my yard. No, acutally I found some inflatables on clearance...today's weather indicated summer is over. I could not find any neon blue, purple or orange. I do have green, yellow and pink. PM me to trade some stuff, I have plenty to share. Check your tying stuff, anything you have lots of, maybe I need some of that.

Fishdontcare, got your request...stand by...I'll get back to you soon.

Anyone have any grizzley hackle that is black and blue? I saw a neat looking steelhead fly that had hackles of a bright powder blue like this (;) color and black. It looked pretty nice. Anyway, send me some of your stuff, I'll send you some of mine.

19. P-FITZ98

P-FITZ98 Member

I too scored on the pads at the local dollar store about a year ago.Im surprised that others have found the resource.way cheaper than fly shops.Craft stores and the like are great that way.Never know what youll find.

20. Norseman1

Mumbles

Those look pretty darned good. One observation....if you want a better rear taper to the tie in point near the tail try cutting the tip of the edgebrite at a sharp angle, then when tying in the tip stretch it fairly hard and you will get a nice taper to the rear of the fly and not such a large bump in the material. Those last two are my favorite of the bunch.

Now go out and give them a swim..............