Educate me on PINKS

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Randall Clark, Jul 29, 2013.

1. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +641 / 0
    Have fun at decepion pass, be warned that beach becomes a Buzz bomb infested hell hole come humpy season.
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,600 / 2
    I educated myself on the usage of my new smoker this morning WP_20130803_002.jpg
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    The last couple days have been borderline stupid in area 11. Does that mean it's been good or bad, you may ask? I'll leave it open to interpretation.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I educated myself and my inlaws on pink tacos this evening. Fresh from this morning's limit

Also, gratuitious "tripled up and in the net" shot. Netting three fish at once is not easy.
    WP_20130804_004.jpg WP_20130804_003.jpg
    plaegreid likes this.
  5. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +173 / 0
    Nice looking smoker (full of meat and smoke). What's the best way to prepare? I don't eat fish, but my extended family who I'll be camping with do...shit, I hope I didn't just jinx it.

I'm excited to go throw a few flies...thanks for the info. I'll report back after next weekend. Hoping to get a Pink on glass...I'll be taking a graphite stick just in case I can't get the distance I need.

Cheers,
    Randy
  6. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    I've been using a simple dry brine of brown sugar and non iodized salt. add some garlic and onion and good. Been brining the pinks a full 24 hours with my kings and silvers, and haven't had them turn out too salty for my taste at all. I bake a honey glaze onto the finished product in the oven..... I don't see why everyone looks down their nose at pinks. These babies are pretty darn delicious if you ask me.
    plaegreid likes this.
  7. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +571 / 0

Heck yes they are. They may be my favorite smoked salmon, especially with an apple cider brine. Its.... its so good. They also do well as salmon sandwiches or burgers, if those float your boat. A salmon sandwich is one of the few things I'll intentionally put mayo on. Hnnggg.... I'm hungry... gotta go fishing... gotta catch dinner...
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. Ralphie Mike Ralph

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I just smoked up 3 pinks caught this week and they turned out great. Simple dry rub of dark brown sugar, sea salt and garlic. Had a little dinner party and friends thought I spent a wad on store bought smoked salmon. I had to confess that I only spent a wad on tying materials and a new Rio OB short. :D
  9. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    pinks can be good, but the reason people may turn down their noses is that not every recipe for chinook involves brining and smoking. an ocean fresh chinook needs no added flavors to be amazing table fare.

to me, i judge fish on their real flavor... not hidden in sugar, salt, and smoke. i have enjoyed pinks fresh on the bbq, but they are not even close to chinook or coho imo.
    Stonefish likes this.
  10. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    I'll back you on the kings. But I actually prefer pinks to coho/silver. I find coho a bit fibrous and bland. Pinks are always flakey and taste a lot like steelhead to me. I'll be putting some in the smoker this year, but I usually just bake fillets at 350F for 20min per inch of thickness (i.e. if the fillet is 3/4" thick it gets fifteen min.) I rub them with melted butter and season with salt and pepper. That's it! But pinks go south fast once they're in fresh water. I won't even keep them from the river. But a pink from the salt is good eatin'.
  11. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    You eat what's available. If you have Kings, you eat them. Coho, Sockeye, whatever. Pinks make good table fair if that's what you have.
  12. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    yep, they are all good. now I just have to find that darn herd comin down the pike to BP or is that wait for the pinks, hmmm, they'll be there when they get there. ok, so I'll just keep goin and hope for soon.
    Outlaw
  13. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Indeed! Being the lesser of the salmon isn't exactly damning with faint praise. No hatin' on pinks here.
  14. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    why stop with butter, you should wrap them in bacon ;)
  15. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    My neighbors and friends love the pinks that I willingly share. Haven't been as generous with their larger cousins. ;)

not a pink.JPG
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  16. CLO Skykchromish Light Saber

Seattle
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    I've seen as many chinook caught this years as pink, i hope the the real pink run is just late..
  17. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    Nice fish PT!

I forgot how much I love fresh nookie until this summer.

I've had 2 fly caught kings in my boat over the past two days. Neither was mine, but I don't care. I think any fly caught king is pretty damn cool. Hell, any king is cool for that matter.
  18. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +173 / 0
    Nice fish. Turned out that I had much less time than I thought I would. Regardless, day 1, I fished for a little over an hour at first light...ended up hooking, playing and losing my first pink ever on a pink over white clouser. I can certainly live with that. Day 2, fished for a couple of hours, had a fish boil on my pink gurgler that I tied on for kicks...also had a brief hookup that came unpinned. It sure felt good to feel those fish on my Steffen 7/8...but I was definitely a little limited as far as overall distance was concerned. There's always a trade-off of sorts when fishing glass...but it sure was fun! I can't thank you folks enough for all of the valuable info both in this post and others...

Cheers,
    Randy
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  19. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    getting kings on the cast fly is awesome... congrats!
  20. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    Fishing has been a bit tough so far. Hopefully the rain we had and the extra days will bring them in. There are so many guys pitching lead right now that they must be skirting the normal areas. That's my theory, anyway. Guys in boats have done better. It can't get much worse from the beach.