Educate me on PINKS

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Randall Clark, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I concur. We had two lights out days at my favorite MA11 beach. Then a whole bunch of tough days. Got fish each day, but two days had 30+ hookups, then it tapered off to 2-3 hookups per day over last week. Might get the boat out and see if I can figure out if they're still out there. I kind of remember a similar thing in 2011 where we had a big wave of MA11 fish that tapered off real quick, and never really picked back up... at least not before I changed my focus to the central/north sound.

2. flyfx

flyfx David Spratt

Media:
    Tough fishing in MA11 this weekend. Fished for 2 hours and landed one fish Friday morning from the beach. Fished incoming tide Sunday evening for 3 hours with my pontoon and landed 5 pounds of seaweed. I saw 2 fish caught but that was it. Hardly any surface activity to chase- Hope it picks up again!

3. jwg

jwg Active Member

Still tough on the beaches in MA11?
    Jay

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Fish arrived yesterday in numbers. This morning was insane from the beach. I honestly believe this was the best day since 2005. Hopefully it will continue for a couple of weeks.

plaegreid likes this.
  5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Many of the pink salmon that we catch are taken on trout flies, while we are chasing sea run Coastal Cutthroat trout on the beaches. We may be using a six weight, 3X leader, and a variety of flies, including big,(size # 4- #6), fluffy, ruddy brown Stimulators, Tan Caddis, any color of Muddlers,(either weighted or on the surface), all kids of streamers, especially bait fish imitations in varying sizes, and soft hackles, bunnies, matukas and Sculpin etc. Color has not often been a significant deal breaker here, for me, as they do take naturally toned flies. The pinks can be pretty tight mouthed at times. So if I was working over them, and they were refusing my fly and presentations, I would be changing things often, and mixing up the pitch to include dead drifting, slight retrieves, swung fly presentations, waking, skating etc. All have taken pinks at times. I would also begin most of my days with a floating line, and then adjust the leader and tippet length and weight of fly accordingly. If you get good at line handling it is amazing how much variety, and depth, you can get out of a floating line. And suffering much less weedy debris on each cast as well. I recently offered some insights on working the tides here: http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

plaegreid and Evan Burck like this.
  6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Bob, all of the fish I've taken have been caught on two or three different pink flies. Their stomachs have been totally empty so I'm thinking they are chasing flies from attraction. Trout flies that are attractors might work well, don't you think? The pink flies in the water look like small squid, most of them anyway but I have caught several on a pink over white Clouser. I think they are striking out of reaction rather than hunger but I'm not sure.

Bob Triggs and Tom Bowden like this.
  7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:

Steve, I am in total agreement with you here. I did not intend to imply that attractors, brightly colored flies, flash flies etc., do not work. Most of these fish get caught on some kind of fluorescent fly or lure on the beaches here. My only point is that we have never gone out of our way to catch them, that most of them we catch are on trout flies, while we are trout fishing here. And this is because they are very aggressive at times. When I do go after them directly myself I often use Clousers in variations of pinks, chartreuse, fuscia etc., with flash tails and without. And I like Leland Miyawaki's Beach Popper too.