Eggs

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Yard Sale, May 21, 2012.

1. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Quick question: Long float, minimal cooler space. Can I scramble a dozen eggs and put them in a large bottle in the cooler? How long till they go bad? Maybe it would be better to do a couple bottles with a half dozen eggs so I don't have to open/close it? What would happen if I froze it?

Gotta have eggs and bacon!
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +664 / 5
    I know shelf life drops once those eggs are cracked. Hard boiled eggs (I know, you want to do eggs and bacon, just an example) spoil super fast, usually within a week.

Here's something for you. Sounds odd, but this stuff is FANTASTIC. I got to test try it, and now I keep a bag in my chuckbox at all times. There is a company out of Olympia that makes a product called OvaEasy. These are freeze dried eggs. But once reconstituted they look and taste like FRESH EGGS! When I say look I mean when you constitute them they seem and feel like freshly beaten eggs. I've used them several times. One small bag is equivelant to a dozen eggs. They do have a much bigger bag. But all you'd need is water. A good water filtration system and you have tons of room for other stuff. But a 4.5oz bag=a dozen eggs.
  3. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +664 / 5
    Thanks Lonnie. Thats them.
  5. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    oh man, powdered eggs= mega G A S in my experience!
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Crack em cold. Put in a nalgene bottle and keep them cold. I've had eggs on three mornings in a row. No need to scramble now. Shake them scrambled when ready to use. Use small separate bottles. Scramble some, fry others.
  7. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +176 / 0
    Good luck. I'd try the OvaEasy eggs. Once you break the shell on an egg the risk of contamination and bad things increases. I'd hate to have a great float trip spoiled by frequent stops for "runs" into the bushes.
  8. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    This has never been a concern of mine...:D:D:D
  9. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    A carton of liquid eggs has a long shelf life if kept cold and you can wait to crack the seal until you're on your float.
  10. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Great info guys, thanks! Think I will try it on a 3 day float this weekend and go from there.

Mmmmmmm, bacon and egg sando's first thing in the morning. Love it!
  11. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    When we use to go camping, I would crack the eggs in a bowl, add spalsh of water, mix like heck. Then fill up small GOOD zip lock bags and place them in my cooler. Last atleast four days if kept in ice. Then when I wanted to have eggs, I would place the zip lock in boiling water couple minutes till done, then I still could use water for my instant coffee. Less dishes to wash!

William
  12. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    You, good sir, just shook my world. Cook eggs AND coffe at once? Oh baby!